$1600 in customer rolled halves, Northern Michigan road trip

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
My work took me to Michigan's Upper Peninsula last week. I was on my own as my wife was working and my sons were at scout camp. I was able stop at a lot of out of the way banks. I probably hit at least 30 banks in the cities of St. Ignace, Naubinway, Sault St. Marie, Iron Mountain, Escanaba, Manistique even the 2 banks on Mackinaw Island and a number of other tiny towns along the way. I was able to find over $1600 in halves mostly brown hand rolled wrappers, a couple old nasty rolls were labeled "1973" and "bicentennials" (I love to find writing on old nasty rolls) only $200 in Brinks. Most banks had halves some had a few in the teller trays most had $20 to $80 in hand rolled, I think one bank had about $300.

My favorite pick ups are from banks that have $50 dollars or so in customer rolled halves I seem to do well with these.

My Grand Total = 2 40% and one 90% (Kennedy)

I do not get to search this much that often. It was a little disappointing but I guess it will set me up for a big score later this month

Keep on Searching
Gordon and Tanner

Upvote 0

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd love to be able to find that with $1600 in CWR halves. Half Dollars are REAL dry in my area.

Plus, I like how you colorized your finds. I'm going to steal that idea (but probably a different color) :p

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I am driving up to northern MI in a few weeks and those results seem disappointing. I guess I was hoping for alot of small banks with vaults filled with Morgans, Peaces, Walkers and Franklins! I guess I am a dreamer!

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey good finds :icon_thumright: Where at in SE Michigan?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You never know unless you try, I hit a few small banks in the UP on vac up near Newberry, found a bunch of 40's, with some of the tellers snickering as I walked out.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been there, hit banks in St. Ignace, Mackinac city, and the island, and 1 40% that looked like a clad. You'd think halves would never leave the island. But the drive itself is a treasure!

HH
-GC

Deerhunten

Greenie
Mar 9, 2007
Northern, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I just hit every bank in the UP last February and March so you did pretty good. I guess it goes to show that the silver will replenish itself it just takes time. BTW with the cost of gas and distance between towns it was a break even endeavor.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I think that nearly everyone collects coins here in Michigan. I had searched many banks around the middle of the mitten and come up with nothing as far as silver goes. My only luck had been brinks boxes, but I quit those when they started to get skunky. I've never tried the UP.

I think living in a depressed state has wised up many people to the value of silver.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More for the pile! Smile! The silver goddess did smile upon you!

apush :read2:

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on the east coast and it appears to me that MI is still struggling with a weak economy so I assume more people need fast cash and search for silver. Where is the federal reserve bank for the state of MI?

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got some silver beats a skunk anyday, love to read your post Gordon and Tanner.
Hope you hit the next time out :thumbsup:

HH...Miner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread