Upvote 12
OP
OP
S

Skitz602

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2023
Phoenix
I found these while going threw some of my grandfathers old collections of coins and stamps and when I went to grab something I knocked the lil safe over and a black bag fell out I opened it up and their were these coins and few other items. I have some background knowledge of coins so when i saw the pine tree Schilling i knew exactly what it was I just couldn't believe it and I assumed it might be a copy but I can't find anything to make me believe that but I'm no expert and the other one come to find out it was from the benzantine era 542 Ad I was blowin away by how almost pristine condition the coins were in and that's why I was having trouble believing that it was legit but I have been trying to get some1 elses opinion on issue Cuz I can't trust coin dealers over here so if some1 could point me in the right direction it would mean the most to me thank you for viewing my coins and the warm welcome I'm already likening this place out of all them

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that's great. Your grandfather was a good collector. I hope they are real. They look to be in great shape & were probably never in the ground. They need to be examined by real experts. Best wishes for positive results. Above all I would recommend that you
DO NOT CLEAN THEM IN ANY WAY !!!! Leave them just as they are for an expert to examine. Very knowledgeable people here that can advise you & point you in the right direction. Thanks for sharing & posting your finds. CHEERS !!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a cast replica of a Noe 1 pine tree shilling. Compare the fine details to a picture of a genuine one, the shape and placement of the beads encircling the tree are all wrong. The details have the mushy appearance of a cast coin, not the crisp details of a die struck coin. If you can post a picture of the edge, I bet it will show a casting seam.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a cast replica of a Noe 1 pine tree shilling. Compare the fine details to a picture of a genuine one, the shape and placement of the beads encircling the tree are all wrong. The details have the mushy appearance of a cast coin, not the crisp details of a die struck coin. If you can post a picture of the edge, I bet it will show a casting seam.
Agreed.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
agreed

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As others have said, it's a cast copy. Sorry.

OP
OP
S

Skitz602

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2023
Phoenix
As others have said, it's a cast copy. Sorry.
Thank you for your opinion I appreciate your time for looking at it...can u please give me more detail on why you came to this conclusion a lot of different people have said the same thing but their not telling me why they feel that I jus wana no what's leading you to come to this conclusion. Thank you again for ur time and opinion much respect

OP
OP
S

Skitz602

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2023
Phoenix
Also... what kind of picture is that ? ? ?
Off centered... one side of coin single picture... blurry grainy / out of focus.

No offense... but this cannot be truly the best you could do.

When posting to this thread announcing what you think is a great find...
Please... Take the initiative to post at least decently.
Ok bro I'ma ask you to please come at me a different way your jus talking non-sense about my picture taking ability and if this was a forum to criticize people over that you be an amazing member but that's not the case show me a lil more respect and talk to me Bout the coin nothing else if u wanted a better picture I would have happily gave you another with out hesitation but thank you for your sharp eye and noticing picture taking skills I'll make sure to practice more thank u for u subjective opinion

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of this is my first time posting this and secondly the only sucker here is u trying to get people to notice him by replying to peoples post cuz u obviously don't have a coin to talk about so ur rude and state these absurd ideas that you have seen this somewhere else..mayb I posted it on another forum but they were being jus a disrespectful as u are so I'ma stop wasting my time and let u continue wasting yours have a nice day I no I will
Wow!!! Quite the Surprise!!! Hope they’re real too!!! Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!!!
Pine Tree Shillings are a Super White Whale in My Book!!😎

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of this is my first time posting this and secondly the only sucker here is u trying to get people to notice him by replying to peoples post cuz u obviously don't have a coin to talk about so ur rude and state these absurd ideas that you have seen this somewhere else..mayb I posted it on another forum but they were being jus a disrespectful as u are so I'ma stop wasting my time and let u continue wasting yours have a nice day I no I will
You state that this was the first time posting this, then in the on the 3rd line say that you posted it up in another forum.
You're rude to the long standing members that have many years of experience, and have a wealth of knowledge.

You seem really offended(upset) by being told it's a copy, your ability of taking a good photo, and the fact that you were already told on another forum it was a copy.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a screen grab of a Real-Fake one

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 6.26.34 AM.png

Now here is you off centre photo-I am going to say it has the distinct features of the one on the right.
Note: The membership were being kind in stating "COPY"
Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 6.27.57 AM.png

Saker

Jan 12, 2021
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CTX3030, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think is real, send it in to get authenticated. There is info online on how to do that. We'd love to see a picture of it slabbed. Folks on these forums have lots of knowledge on coins, so their opinions are a good indication. Coins have been replicated/forged for centuries, some more than others. I agree it looks like a cast replica in the picture you provided.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is from your other "COPY" coin that you posted up. (Not sure why you put this copy in that post)
It clearly shows the mold seam that has been filed away.
Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 7.37.18 AM.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do not attack any members grammer, it violates our rules!

Coin is a cast copy, the raised edge is another sign of being cast.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do not attack any members grammer, it violates our rules!

Coin is a cast copy, the raised edge is another sign of being cast.
And what about the initial attack from the OP ?

Mine was a reply to it.

Also... i would not call it an "attack"... that is beyond extreme.

A comment would be more correct. (oh wait... would this comment also constitute ? heh)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arc you know our rules, also any issue with moderation is not discussed on the open forum.

From our terms and rules page
"Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone.

All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread