Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the museum is unaware of a pending sale this was likely a fishing expedition. My guess is that the owner mentioned this bag to deadrabbit and he/she/it/they came here looking for feedback regarding the value.

The good news is that deadrabbit now has a path forward for his friend should they decide to sell the bag. Get it professionally appraised and hope for a bidding war at auction. I think the auction option beats trying to sell it privately.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I contacted Gwendolyn Saul, PhD, Curator of Ethnography and Ethnology at the New York State Museum where they confirmed the Swan Bag resides. They indicated it is not for sale and is not currently on public display but is available for study and observation by appointment.

I think that answers many of our questions.

So this was a cow flopper all along then-nice investigative work once again. :headbang:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I contacted Gwendolyn Saul, PhD, Curator of Ethnography and Ethnology at the New York State Museum where they confirmed the Swan Bag resides. They indicated it is not for sale and is not currently on public display but is available for study and observation by appointment.

But aren't many items "on Loan" to such establishments?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least we now know why there's been no pictures taken of it and no appraisal done.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Paper's/studies on it from the early 2000's indicated it was on loan, i don't know if that's still the case. I will follow up with them later today and find out.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least we now know why there's been no pictures taken of it and no appraisal done.

No recent pictures of it, but it was comprehensively pictured in the 2004 paper I have already linked to... although only in black & white.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No recent pictures of it, but it was comprehensively pictured in the 2004 paper I have already linked to... although only in black & white.

BLack and white in 2004.....WHY? you would think capturing the colors and such would be important in the documentation and study of it?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, that's what i meant, recent, color pictures from the representative of the family that we've asked for on numerous occasions. It's in storage and it doesn't sound like anyone's arranged a viewing of it recently.

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BLack and white in 2004.....WHY? you would think capturing the colors and such would be important in the documentation and study of it?

The pdf made available for free on the net by the museum is a greyscale scan of the original book (as is usual for many such releases). I don't know if the published print vsrsion had colour photographs, but it would cost $30 to find out,

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, her latest reply indicates it is on loan and they will make it available for study and viewing if you pre arrange. She also indicates they are working on digitizing some of their collection and may make photo's available online of it in the future:

"Hello David,

The Swan bag has been on loan to NYSM for many years. We’re honored to care for it and make it available for research and study. Because it is so fragile, I do not anticipate it going on display anytime soon. I am at the beginning of a digitization project for Ethnology collections, so perhaps in the future it would be possible to make images of the basket available on-line. In the meantime, I hope you might be able to visit us in person to see the bag.

Sincerely, Gwen"

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rut ro raggy this is a major blow dealt to the STORY

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These days...simply NTF it for a few $million

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I've said before , it's always the new members who post the best finds, why is that?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I've said before , it's always the new members who post the best finds, why is that?

Because they lack a connection to and standing within this community. As such, they feel no accountability for any claims made.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, her latest reply indicates it is on loan and they will make it available for study and viewing if you pre arrange. She also indicates they are working on digitizing some of their collection and may make photo's available online of it in the future:

"Hello David,

The Swan bag has been on loan to NYSM for many years. We’re honored to care for it and make it available for research and study. Because it is so fragile, I do not anticipate it going on display anytime soon. I am at the beginning of a digitization project for Ethnology collections, so perhaps in the future it would be possible to make images of the basket available on-line. In the meantime, I hope you might be able to visit us in person to see the bag.

Sincerely, Gwen"

So the bag IS on loan. The owner could ask the museum to return it at any time and they would be obligated to do so. This doesn't refute the claims made by the OP. He said the owner was considering selling it and was wondering what it might be worth. I think that's been answered as well as it could be considering the uniqueness of the bag.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So the bag IS on loan. The owner could ask the museum to return it at any time and they would be obligated to do so. This doesn't refute the claims made by the OP. He said the owner was considering selling it and was wondering what it might be worth. I think that's been answered as well as it could be considering the uniqueness of the bag.

The curator should have an idea as to value.
I don't speak for the owner , but would have a value before loaning it. With a signed receipt describing the article , terms of the loan ; and the items estimated (per curator vs my figure. That requires an agreement of value between us) and or insured value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread