Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The curator should have an idea as to value.
I don't speak for the owner , but would have a value before loaning it. With a signed receipt describing the article , terms of the loan ; and the items estimated (per curator vs my figure. That requires an agreement of value between us) and or insured value.

Agreed. But I believe the museum has had it in their care for 15-20 years. If that's correct, market value today would likely be quite different from any assessment made at the time the bag was placed on loan.

All I have been trying to say throughout this thread is that I don't think the OP was being disingenuous or "shady" when they posted their inquiry. Some people here seem to be looking for a conspiracy or scam of some sort. I think they're off base.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed. But I believe the museum has had it in their care for 15-20 years. If that's correct, market value today would likely be quite different from any assessment made at the time the bag was placed on loan.

All I have been trying to say throughout this thread is that I don't think the OP was being disingenuous or "shady" when they posted their inquiry. Some people here seem to be looking for a conspiracy or scam of some sort. I think they're off base.

The O.P. was defensive. L.o.l.. , that's my take on it.

Markets do rise and wane.
(I watch antiques roadshow sometimes , so I'm qualified to make that statement).

Not sure why the O.P. asked here. Maybe we have a pulse on selling such stuff by giving professional appraisals I don't know about..

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agree... and I would add that I think there has been naivety on both 'sides' here. Naivety from the OP to expect that an item like this could be valued from such a brief description that doesn't give the full story or provide any pictures; and naivety from some of the responders that they could put a value to it if only the OP would provide some pictures.

As an artefact it's not actually unique but, in the words of the experts who have previously evaluated it: "one of a small number of surviving examples [of twine bags]." Certainly it has a unique backstory, although that's reliant on oral family history which cannot be substantiated. It's also not likely to be a wampum bag according to the experts, although it continues to be described as such but generally in "inverted commas".

Given the small number of similar examples, there are no relevant previous auction estimates to provide price guidance and the value of the "backstory" to a collector is pretty much unquantifiable.

What I don't understand is why the OP feels the need for Tnetters' opinions on value (good as they are on most items) when he could get an professional expert opinion for free and without obligation to sell by contacting a leading auction house.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. OP comes on stating they are an agent of the family representing them in the sale of the bag.

2. In representing the family on such a rare historical item and presumably wanting to convey professionalism and credibility, their first move is to choose the user name "DeadRabbit".

3. In asking about their credentials (true, they are not required to provide them), none are provided, however, in my experience, representatives of this type almost always volunteer their creds up front as it builds trust and credibility.

4. Multiple user's asked for current, clear color pictures, none were provided. (In hindsight, it appears they don't have any, as then the Museum would have learned it's for sale when he came to photo it, see #5 below)

5. Contact with the Museum indicated they had no idea it was for sale, and in point of fact, it appears they even believe that it is going to remain in their custody for some time as they want to photo document it and put it online for all to see and indicated that anyone can come see it and study it if they pre-arrange.

6. Acting as an agent of the family, i would have expected the OP to ignore anything they perceived as people just wanting to cause distractions, and stuck to the facts and answering legitimate questions. But not only did they actively engage these perceived distractors(some of the posts have been deleted), they used it as an excuse NOT to share any information about the piece.

7. See Red-Coats last sentence in his post above.

Take from these facts what you will. I know what i make of it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions