1700's British Navy button. Partial Trade axe. Tinklers. Pistol butt cup?

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share with you some of the recent finds.

First a very nice Royal Navy 1700's button. Very surprised it survived so well. It's a first one for me of this type.

DSC_1571.JPG
DSC_1599.JPG

A few Native copper tinklers. Already found a couple in the past. These two are by far the smallest.

DSC_1580.JPG

A partial Trade Axe. It's really sad it's not a complete one as it's shape is just awesome, it had a very large blade.

DSC_1585.jpg

A possible butt cup from a pistol. It's made of iron which is unusual but I have seen a few non copper-brass types online. Found a few medium sized musket balls in the area so it seems to fit.

DSC_1587.JPG
DSC_1588.JPG
DSC_1589.JPG
DSC_1590.JPG

An unusual tool found a few feet from the Trade axe. From what I understood a possible chisel to remove bark from trees. The tool was buried in a vertical position with the rings still hanging from the handle.

DSC_1591.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 22

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Liking the patina on the Navy Button, and well done on the tinkers. I would go with the butt cup theory as sure looks like one, but in iron. The chisel I would say it might be for doing large mortises in logs, as an axe or shave was used in removing bark over using a chisel. Here's an interesting dating link for woodworking tools.
Woodworking Tools, 1600–1900, by Peter C. Welsh.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes that button is a beauty.
Lots of interesting finds on that hunt.
Nice going

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Love that butt cap, and that's the first one I've seen made from iron. I've only recovered one of those, and it was brass which is typical. That's a great navy button too!

buttcap2.JPG

buttcap3.JPG

buttcap4.JPG

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP & I have an interesting debate on those types of 'Navy looking' buttons. Pretty sure its not 'Royal', might be merchant. No-one is sure, unless you want to put a good source doc in the mix? It is however the date you state.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP & I have an interesting debate on those types of 'Navy looking' buttons. Pretty sure its not 'Royal', might be merchant. No-one is sure, unless you want to put a good source doc in the mix? It is however the date you state.
Was there a merchant navy in the 1700's, it was GeorgeV who first gave the title of merchant navy.

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's strange. I have seen these dug steady for the past 15 years and have never seen any good reference IDing them. I've found at least 10 myself, maybe more.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Liking the patina on the Navy Button, and well done on the tinkers. I would go with the butt cup theory as sure looks like one, but in iron. The chisel I would say it might be for doing large mortises in logs, as an axe or shave was used in removing bark over using a chisel. Here's an interesting dating link for woodworking tools.
Woodworking Tools, 1600Γ’β‚¬β€œ1900, by Peter C. Welsh.

Thank you for the info on the tools. Great information!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff as usual, really like that navy button

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yes. Pretty hard to find out for sure. I have contacted a few people who specialize in military buttons and they all agreed on the term I used. But I agree, the documentation for those seems to be lacking.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's strange. I have seen these dug steady for the past 15 years and have never seen any good reference IDing them. I've found at least 10 myself, maybe more.

Yes. Strange no one did a serious research on them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions