What's new

1723 Woods Hibernia, Spectacle buckle

Mr. Digger

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2014
Messages
724
Reaction score
2,001
Golden Thread
1
Location
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got into some Colonial last weekend! Unearthed a 1723 Woods Hibernia and a complete spectacle buckle from a farm field permission. I've included the "in situ" pics for those of you who like that kind of stuff.
 

Attachments

  • WH2.webp
    WH2.webp
    292.2 KB · Views: 184
  • WH3.webp
    WH3.webp
    288.2 KB · Views: 114
  • WH5.webp
    WH5.webp
    148.6 KB · Views: 150
  • WH1.webp
    WH1.webp
    368.2 KB · Views: 127
  • WH4.webp
    WH4.webp
    357.1 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 32
Great finds! I've been holding off going into the woods, due to all the ticks. Had Lyme disease three times and don't want to deal with it ever again. Cooler weather should tone them down a little. Need to keep busy now that I won't be watching the Red Sox any more this season!
 
Great finds! I've been holding off going into the woods, due to all the ticks. Had Lyme disease three times and don't want to deal with it ever again. Cooler weather should tone them down a little. Need to keep busy now that I won't be watching the Red Sox any more this season!
Go Pats, we're on to Cincinnati
 
Last edited:
Got into some Colonial last weekend! Unearthed a 1723 Woods Hibernia and a complete spectacle buckle from a farm field permission. I've included the "in situ" pics for those of you who like that kind of stuff.
Those are some great finds. That buckle looks similar to #38 or #39 on this chart, which suggests it could date into the 1600s! Those Hibernia coins seem to hold up better than most coppers I see, and that is a nice one. Congrats!

IMG_9745.webp
 
Did some research on the buckle. Found the exact buckle on page 65 of Ross Whitehead's book,"Buckles 1250-1800". Looks to be from the 1550-1650 range! Wow, that is one old buckle!


buckle.webp
 
Great finds. Congratulations!
 
Great finds! I've been holding off going into the woods, due to all the ticks. Had Lyme disease three times and don't want to deal with it ever again. Cooler weather should tone them down a little. Need to keep busy now that I won't be watching the Red Sox any more this season!
good point, this season I don't think I can count the number of mosquitoes and a few tick bites I've had, but the thrill of the hunt & finding something new always egged me on
 
Great hunt liking the buckle and copper.

Mr Digger ca you repeat after me BLUE JAYS.

LOL. Yanks, Mets, Jets and Giants all lost. 🙂
 
Outstanding recoveries!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom