What's new

1738 cut Spanish sliver !!!!!!

button king

Full Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
209
Reaction score
283
Golden Thread
1
Location
southern Maryland/north east Pa
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
tesoro tejon/ T2
Today was a great day! Found my first piece of cut silver! Can anyone tell me what kind of coin it is? I was thinking maybe 1/2 reale? Thanks for looking! image.webp
 
Upvote 28
Great cut silver. Without a scale it's difficult to tell what denomination it is, but my guess would be a 1R
 
2 reale pistareen. GREAT find! :D
 
Cool, you even got the piece with the date :occasion14:
 
It's very unusual to find a pistareen cut such that the full date shows. They are almost always cut along the lines of the long thin cross on the reverse, and this splits the date in half so you either get the "17" or the last 2 digits of the date. Out of the 86 cut silvers I've recovered not one is like yours, and I maybe have 1 or 2 where I have 3 digits due to an off center cut. By the way, yours is a 1 reale, not a 2 as none of that denomination were struck during that year.
 
Awesome cut spanish, but I think it's too big to be 1/2 reale, my guess is 1 reale

Great find!
 
I think the cut silvers are a little more interesting than the full coins, id be just as happy finding either one though. The cut silvers have a little more story to tell.... Very very cool!!:thumbsup:
 
Never seen a 1R like that with a full date. I'd say thats pretty rare, as found. Only have 3 like that but all are from cut 2 reales. Congrats on a super find.
 
Congrats on your first cut piece. I dug an intact 1738 one real. And no, I did not spell it wrong. It is "real" for half and one, and "reales" above one.

Here is what your coin would have looked like uncut. You can see what Bill was talking about regarding the cross.
 

Attachments

  • 1738-f.jpg.webp
    1738-f.jpg.webp
    51 KB · Views: 85
Awesome!!!!!!!
 
Nice find. Grats on the silver
 
It's very unusual to find a pistareen cut such that the full date shows. They are almost always cut along the lines of the long thin cross on the reverse, and this splits the date in half so you either get the "17" or the last 2 digits of the date. Out of the 86 cut silvers I've recovered not one is like yours, and I maybe have 1 or 2 where I have 3 digits due to an off center cut. By the way, yours is a 1 reale, not a 2 as none of that denomination were struck during that year.
I was thinking the same thing I was very happy I could see the whole date!!! Thanks for the great information!
 
Last edited:
That is killer and rare to find with the date. If all the Spanish I've dug I've never found a cut piece. They are rare up here for some reason. Good luck on the return.
 
Congrats on your first cut piece. I dug an intact 1738 one real. And no, I did not spell it wrong. It is "real" for half and one, and "reales" above one.

Here is what your coin would have looked like uncut. You can see what Bill was talking about regarding the cross.

Funny I posted that exact same thing on the spelling yesterday
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom