1748 8 Reale MF found. is it real?

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulled this today from a coin collection that was given to me. Any chance it's a real reale?
Size is spot on, Non magnetic and it rings up silver on the metal detector. Weight is 27.7 and it sounds like silver when in a pile. I did not want to test the metal JIC...
Any info would be awesome as my research found that this coin has been faked.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20221129_173004.jpg
    20221129_173004.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 20221129_173049.jpg
    20221129_173049.jpg
    825.3 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 15

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulled this today from a coin collection that was given to me. Any chance it's a real reale?
Size is spot on, Non magnetic and it rings up silver on the metal detector. Weight is 27.7 and it sounds like silver when in a pile. I did not want to test the metal JIC...
Thanks all.
Looks Real! Very cool!!! Congrats!!!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well it looks real but I'd check weight and diameter.
Weight: ca. 27gm
Diameter: 39mm
Look at a certified coin on E-bay:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would actually be worth more money,(double or more of a regal coin), if it was a contemporary counterfeit. C-4 people collect the counterfeits. Nice example, Regal or not.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it that is a fake it was made from a die and was not cast. Looks good to me, unless there as a known fake made this well.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got yourself a nice Mexico City 8 Reale :thumbsup:

Corvus

Jun 15, 2019
MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fields look a bit porous, suggesting a cast copy. Check the coin edge with a loupe for a seam. Cast copies will have flaws in the leaf pattern "reeding". They made tons of pewter fakes around the time of the bicentennial. Such framed display replicas also had cast Continental dollars and pine tree shillings.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab X-Terra 505 with stock coil or 18.75khz elliptical coil depending upon the site. Upgraded to Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would do a specific gravity on it and that will at least get you a solid idea of metal content. Take a piece of sewing thread or dental floss and tie it around the coin enough to were you can hold the coin by the thread/floss. Not so much thread you add a lot of weight. Take a cup of water put it on gram scale and tare/zero the scale. Hold coin in water by thread and note the weight. Do not let coin touch sides of cup. Coin may spin a little so weight may be a little bouncy. Try to get coin still. Simply divide weight outside water by weight suspended in water. Ratio for Pure silver is 10.49, 925 is 10.36 and coin silver is 10.31. My bars came out as 10.43. It's fairly accurate even better if you have access to a lab scale that's calibrated and goes out several decimals. Limiting factor is coin motion and fact that there's really no massless thread.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents.

It is a little overweight, but that doesn't always mean fake. Quality control wasn't always as tight as intended and accidental overweights are known to have been sold off at bullion price instead of face value rather than go to the trouble of remelting.

It's rather pock-marked in the field and lacks crispness for my liking, but that's sometimes just the effect of ocean immersion and tumbling. To me, it looks cast.

One thing you can easily check is the edge. Cast fakes often have a 'seam' running round the edge, as shown below. If you can see any sign of that, it's a cast fake. Not a definitive check since not all fakes will show it, but narrows down the odds considerably

Edge Seam.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed detail on edge is critical.....im leaning toward its legit, but would love to see the on edge shot to be sure. If it legit its a beauty!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 8 in 1748 (the date) looks spaced different, and I see a strange detail above mf mark ?? Could be perfectly normal too....im not an expert, and every year probably has its traits and anomalies ?

OldNorthwest

Sep 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Minelab Exporer SE
Thanks all.
Speaking as an 8 reales enthusiast - this coin is very likely to be a modern forgery. On top of the coin being significantly overweight, the details are not very sharp, which means this was probably copied from a genuine worn coin and artificially aged.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread