Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally was able to get some detecting in this morning. I have my in-laws visiting from Florida, so I had to stay local. I hit a spot that has produced a lot of silver, and my goal today was to dig some Merc's or Silver Rosies.

My first decent signal was a bouncy penny signal, with a VDI on my V3 bouncing from the 60's to the 70's, at a depth about 4 3/4". I was hopeful that I was starting out with a Wheat Cent, but when I pinpointed the dirt pile I saw the large copper disk and said to myself, "this can't be!". Out popped George! I just stared for about 10 seconds saying to myself over and over "this can't be!"

Unfortunately I cannot get a date, but it looks like it may end in a "7", so possibly 1777???. The spot was once farmland, but I cannot date the site earlier than the 1840's. The fertilizer did a number on this one, and what you see in my hand is the best it is going to get after cleaning.

My previous oldest coin at the site was an 1877 Seated quarter, and that was my only nineteenth century coin at the site until this morning. I dug some civil war era buttons, and one early flat buttons in the past, but colonial copper was the furthest thing from my mind!!

After that it was 3.5 hours of nothing but modern trash and coinage, but what a beautiful morning to be out!

UPDATE 12/22/09: I forgot to mention the clipped planchet at 6:00.

PB290023.JPGPB290024.JPG
PB290030.JPGPB290032.JPG

Upvote 0
Re: King George III Copper

A dremel tool with a small rotating BRASS brush bit will clean up that copper, take away the residual dirt and leave the patina if there is any left. Just go lightly on the coin. Practice with a toasted penny and yu will see what I mean.

very nice colonial Neil :headbang: but why did the signal bounce around , it should of locked onto it especially at that depth.

leddel said:
very nice colonial Neil :headbang: but why did the signal bounce around , it should of locked onto it especially at that depth.

Leddel, I am not sure what type of detector you are using, but it is rare for a coin to lock in on one VDI when you have a range of 191, on a detector like the V3 or DFX, vs. other detectors which have a range of 12. It didn't bounce much, high 60's to low 70's. My best guess would be that the coin was on edge, but if you notice the coin is clipped at the 6 O'clock spot. This could also make it a little bouncy. It was actually quite a bit deeper than 5 inches, possibly 8 or 9". Since the detector thought it was a US penny, the bigger copper gave a shallower deptth.

Nice counterfeit Georgie, Neil.

KylePA said:
Nice counterfeit Georgie, Neil.

agreed, nice looking counterfeit :icon_thumright:

Great find there Neil. I am glad to see you are using the V3. I could not be parted with mine. Do you know what I did with mine? I altered a program to indicate colonial and large cent era targets. KG copper, Large cent,half cent,musketball/button etc. It works great. Every time I get the 80 ish vdi it says Large cent. That's what it is . :thumbsup:
Chris

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Great find there Neil. I am glad to see you are using the V3. I could not be parted with mine. Do you know what I did with mine? I altered a program to indicate colonial and large cent era targets. KG copper, Large cent,half cent,musketball/button etc. It works great. Every time I get the 80 ish vdi it says Large cent. That's what it is . :thumbsup:
Chris

That is pretty cool. I have not tried to use custom icons yet. This one came up as a penny/belt plate.

Good find but most likely 1770-1775. (1777 would be something far more interesting and that George bust tends to say it's not)

Very nice, Neil. I guess it's not unusual for a coin that deep to bounce on pretty much any visual TID machine, unless maybe it's perfectly flat in the ground.

That was definitely a pleasant surprise to come out of that later site :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch said:
Good find but most likely 1770-1775. (1777 would be something far more interesting and that George bust tends to say it's not)

I found a 1773 that is very similar to this last October. That one (below) is a 1773, but the flattened 3 on top makes it appear as a 7. Perhaps this one is a 1773 as well. Thanks for your input!

1773R.jpeg

Your in the right time frame for some neat stuff from that site...

Nice one Neil. Spacing on the "I"s looks different. Great find! Hogge :headbang:

hogge said:
Nice one Neil. Spacing on the "I"s looks different. Great find! Hogge :headbang:

Are you comparing the "I" in Brittania on the one I found last year (in the reply to Iron Patch's post) to this one? The photos in the original post are pre and post cleaning, so there shouldn't be any difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back