1770 Church Hunt

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0291.JPG IMG_0293.JPG Back in the winter we were given permission to hunt an old church that dates back to the 1700's. The weather was nice so we decided today was the day. Kind of disappointing.....rusty iron targets was all we dug. Nails, rusty bottle caps and other junk.

Upvote 10
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still a nice place and day for detecting! :occasion14:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better than a day in the sweatshop!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Unless the building was moved to it's current location recently, I'm with you and should have produced. Unless it has been hit before and even then, if you dug all the iron you'd think to find something hiding in or under some piece of trash/junk.
Chalk it up to one nice permission that didn't produce and you're one local closer to that dream spot.
Good luck next time out!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes you can take a sample plug and determine if it’s old dirt or fill. Old dirt (what you want) typically is compacted soil, minimal rocks, and with a 2nd or 3rd scoop in the hole you are beyond topsoil)

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First tip off for disturbed dirt would be the front wheel chair ramp and how the grade slopes up to it. I bet that whole front was worked over by an excavator and a skid steer. That being said....theres always those dig me signals a little farther away from the old churches even once they have been pounded. If it is super trashy you could even put on a sniper coil or swing a higher recovery detector like a Deus or Equinox ect.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds frustrating but there is probably still stuff there somewhere. I'd go back. Now please don't take this as negativity but there are a lot of hungry hunters out there. By posting these photos you have potentially invited people who may go to your spot with or without obtaining permission. They might mess up your spot for you. Hopefully not but good luck and don't give up.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good place to hunt toss out a couple prayers a start ripping that place apart lol. Good luck

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I bet if you go back you’ll find something interesting. Looks like a beautiful area to hunt. Congrats on the permission. At least you got out. Been cold and raining here.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Give it several more tries. Hunt the property edges where it's less likely that the soil has been disturbed and/or hunted. Also, I agree with xcopperstax. By disclosing specific locations of property you hunt, you risk: 1.) poachers hitting the site w/out permission 2.) Exposing the owners being bugged by other relic hunters which will lead to someone else making finds that should be yours or, anger from the owners because they're being hassled by others wanting permission. The only time I ever disclose a location is if I know the time to hunt it is going to be limited due to construction, demolition, etc. Just my 2 cents. HH!

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds frustrating but there is probably still stuff there somewhere. I'd go back. Now please don't take this as negativity but there are a lot of hungry hunters out there. By posting these photos you have potentially invited people who may go to your spot with or without obtaining permission. They might mess up your spot for you. Hopefully not but good luck and don't give up.
The pastor told me it had been hunted more than a few times in the past. I figured we'd give it a try anyway.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes you can take a sample plug and determine if it’s old dirt or fill. Old dirt (what you want) typically is compacted soil, minimal rocks, and with a 2nd or 3rd scoop in the hole you are beyond topsoil)
The pastor has been there for over 40 years and told me that nothing was done to the soil while he was pastor.

First tip off for disturbed dirt would be the front wheel chair ramp and how the grade slopes up to it. I bet that whole front was worked over by an excavator and a skid steer. That being said....theres always those dig me signals a little farther away from the old churches even once they have been pounded. If it is super trashy you could even put on a sniper coil or swing a higher recovery detector like a Deus or Equinox ect.
I'm not going to go out and buy a Deus or Nox just to give this place another go.

Beautiful church.
Old and quite nice looking.....very small town.

I'm not the first to hunt here and I'm not really worried that others may hunt this spot.

Looks like a good place to hunt toss out a couple prayers a start ripping that place apart lol. Good luck
Old sites always LOOK good but...…..

I agree, I bet if you go back you’ll find something interesting. Looks like a beautiful area to hunt. Congrats on the permission. At least you got out. Been cold and raining here.
We've had a lot of rain here so when the weather's good we have to jump at the opportunity.

Give it several more tries. Hunt the property edges where it's less likely that the soil has been disturbed and/or hunted. Also, I agree with xcopperstax. By disclosing specific locations of property you hunt, you risk: 1.) poachers hitting the site w/out permission 2.) Exposing the owners being bugged by other relic hunters which will lead to someone else making finds that should be yours or, anger from the owners because they're being hassled by others wanting permission. The only time I ever disclose a location is if I know the time to hunt it is going to be limited due to construction, demolition, etc. Just my 2 cents. HH!
Did the edges, behind the church, on the side of the church and in between...….iron all over the place and junk targets.
Most of the time if I show a photo of a hunt site I show only a generic portion of the place so as not to tip off others, especially if it's a good spot that produces.

I hate it when that happens. You have to try though! Now you can check it off your list
I MAY go back but it's not at the top of my list of "must try" places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread