Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1780's Nova Caesarea coin???

Im having trouble nailing down this coin. Im 99% sure its a old New Jersey coin but i want some experts here. It was about 6" deep under brutal tree roots. Its in very bad shape but i can easily see the outline of a big shield on it and it has the proper parallel lines in it. The date spot is in the right area on the other side also. In person it is easier to see detail in certain angles. What is throwing me off is there is lettering or words all around the outer edge of the coin but i cant make them out good enough. It would be nice to id for sure because i don't think to many off them would have made it up here to Nova Scotia but i could be wrong. Also it would date the site and make worthy enough to take the long hike back again sometime. I also through a quarter on a photo for size reference. Thanks for any help! [emoji2]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441897847.963860.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441897869.284222.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441897883.524266.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441897899.041440.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441897916.857737.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441897933.813043.jpg

Upvote 1

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don in SJ will like this one! Looks to me like a NJ state copper (which I still haven't found BTW :laughing7:). I can see what appears to be a shield and the exergue line. Measure the diameter of the coin--that would help. Great find brother :thumbsup:.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don in SJ will like this one! Looks to me like a NJ state copper (which I still haven't found BTW :laughing7:). I can see what appears to be a shield and the exergue line. Measure the diameter of the coin--that would help. Great find brother :thumbsup:.

Thanks. I wish it was in better shape. Seems to be some value in the varieties. The best part is if it is for sure a NJ copper than what other uncommon finds for my area are waiting back there to find but its a hard spot to get to though. A early 1800's big silver would be nice! [emoji2]

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yet more confirmation that I should have got into the hobby before my eyesight when downhill. :laughing7:

Obviously, ID'ing coins in this condition requires extensive experience over many years seeing lots and lots of dug coins. (A feat I oneday hope to replicate, but we'll see..)

One thing that does come to mind, though...
I think it would be helpful to know the coin dimensions, thickness and maybe its weight.
I'm sure the prospecting forum has lots of discussions about scales.
Dimensions and thickeness could be easily determined with a caliper.

This one is only $3 at Harbor Freight:
6" Utility Caliper

Although this one might be more accurate (digital, down to .001"), and goes for $20 when it's on sale. Also Harbor Freight:
Digital Calipers - Save on these 6 Inch Digital Calipers

These things have really come down in price!!
I own a Mitutoyo (I probably butchered that spelling!!) from 15 years ago that probably cost $150 or more at the time.
Of course, I think it's accurate down to 0.0005", but that sort of accuracy shouldn't be necessary for metal detecting hobbyist.
The dirt and crust alone from a few decades in the ground is probably at least triple that precision!

I haven't quite acquired all my metal detecting "gear" yet. (Still new to hobby. Need a good shovel, and gold pans, for example).
But I think I'll also add that $20 caliper to my dream kit so as not to mess up the nice one I already own.

Maybe a set of REALLY GOOD reading glasses too! :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be a condor token. Many different types with shields and would be a more likely find than a NJ, but NJ coppers can and do turn up here in the Atlantic region.

Attachments

• 6967865149_a529937dc8_b.jpg
    6967865149_a529937dc8_b.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 6821742674_ab03f1990f_b.jpg
    6821742674_ab03f1990f_b.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thickness and the edge markings do not indicate it being a NJ copper, glad you posted the edge view, since that convinced me it is not a NJ copper that I know of.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The thickness and the edge markings do not indicate it being a NJ copper, glad you posted the edge view, since that convinced me it is not a NJ copper that I know of.

Thats what is throwing me off. Just a little more detail anywhere and it could be solved i bet. Did the 18th century condor tokens have writing on the edge of them i wonder. What old large coppers had any lettered edges?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what is throwing me off. Just a little more detail anywhere and it could be solved i bet. Did the 18th century condor tokens have writing on the edge of them i wonder. What old large coppers had any lettered edges?

Yes, many condor tokens have a lettered edge.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It might be a condor token. Many different types with shields and would be a more likely find than a NJ, but NJ coppers can and do turn up here in the Atlantic region.

I looked close and at different angles and I'm sure its the same one you posted. 1791 Glasgow halfpenny. Thank you! [emoji2]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441908787.539365.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked close and at different angles and I'm sure its the same one you posted. 1791 Glasgow halfpenny. Thank you! [emoji2]
[ATT[/ATTACH]

I knew it had a chance based on what I could see. The shields vary depending on the coin.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yet more confirmation that I should have got into the hobby before my eyesight when downhill. :laughing7:

Obviously, ID'ing coins in this condition requires extensive experience over many years seeing lots and lots of dug coins. (A feat I oneday hope to replicate, but we'll see..)

One thing that does come to mind, though...
I think it would be helpful to know the coin dimensions, thickness and maybe its weight.
I'm sure the prospecting forum has lots of discussions about scales.
Dimensions and thickeness could be easily determined with a caliper.

This one is only $3 at Harbor Freight:
6" Utility Caliper

Although this one might be more accurate (digital, down to .001"), and goes for $20 when it's on sale. Also Harbor Freight:
Digital Calipers - Save on these 6 Inch Digital Calipers

These things have really come down in price!!
I own a Mitutoyo (I probably butchered that spelling!!) from 15 years ago that probably cost $150 or more at the time.
Of course, I think it's accurate down to 0.0005", but that sort of accuracy shouldn't be necessary for metal detecting hobbyist.
The dirt and crust alone from a few decades in the ground is probably at least triple that precision!

I haven't quite acquired all my metal detecting "gear" yet. (Still new to hobby. Need a good shovel, and gold pans, for example).
But I think I'll also add that $20 caliper to my dream kit so as not to mess up the nice one I already own.

Maybe a set of REALLY GOOD reading glasses too! :laughing7:

You cannot compare your quality Mitutoyo or a Starrett to the garbage Harbor Freight sells. If you want a reasonably cheap one buy from Travers Tool Co...the TTC brand is their house brand. Personally I greatly prefer the more expensive former ones and have several and have a TTC just to bang around with. I guess the TTC is fine for measuring a dug coin. With loupes and calipers I always think you should buy the best and then buy a cheapo back-up for dirty conditions.

Nice ID on the coin by the way whoever did it. Just an FYI Conder tokens is the correct spelling not "Condor" and the lettering on the edge was to help prevent the rampant counterfeiting in England at the time.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ID on the coin by the way whoever did it. Just an FYI Conder tokens is the correct spelling not "Condor" and the lettering on the edge was to help prevent the rampant counterfeiting in England at the time.

Yes! I was not paying very close attention. The only time I use that is on here.... and it's trade tokens or just halfpenny token the rest of the time because I don't think the Brits use the word Conder much. I bet I have been making that same mistake once or twice a year for the past decade! :)

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: