What's new

1781 "NORTH AMERICAN TOKEN"

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
4,107
Reaction score
2,717
Golden Thread
3
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to a spot I got a few buttons at earlier this year, and I pull out this coin (just adjacent to that spot, about the third target) Just a quick rub reveales the date 1781...I see Britiania...so thinking british or irish...............but no match ?? Turns out to be a "NORTH AMERICAN TOKEN" and the pictures are as field taken...no cleaning....I'm thinking this coin is a couple hundred dollars ?? there are none for sale on ebay ??

LINK Coin Value | US North American Token 1781

find12-44a.webp
find12-44b.webp
find12-44c.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 6
Looks great, and as good as you could have made it. The remaining dirt highlights it well.

Thanks a lot. I couldn't agree more about the remaining dirt highlighting the relief. Too many times I (and many others) have gone too far with the cleaning. If you clean, know when to say when.
 
There's always been a rush to clean coins, buttons, relics,etc..my philosophy has been that the dirt ain't going anywhere and the corrosion rate is diminished out of the ground. Cleaning can wait as far as I'm concerned, although some people can't wait to preserve the finds.
In your case Rick you now have a ready to display find, well done!
 
Very nice find. I'd be beside myself to find one of them.

DANGLANGLEY
 
I like it!! Nice find!!
 
I want one! Really nice token, and to me even groovier that they were probably "backdating" these tokens! Yours waited a long long time for you to bring it to the light of day again! Andi
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom