What's new

1786 Vermont colonial copper

Evolution

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
5,285
Reaction score
2,483
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is actually my first post on this forum but I've been checking it out for a few months now. I'm kinda new to this game. I used to use a metal detector back in the 80's when I was a teenager, then, mysteriously, I forgot about it. Last year my friend got a new detector and I remembered how much fun it used to be and wondered to myself why I ever stopped. I ended up getting one myself and instantly became addicted to the hobby again. Now I'll get to the point. Last week I ran into a friend that I hadn't seen in about ten years and we were talking trying to catch up when he mentioned that he had just purchased a new house (New to him that is) It was a very old farmhouse in a rural New York town Near where we grew up. I immediately steered the conversation to metal detecting and secured permission to hunt the property. Now I'll skip to the good part. After searching for a while and not finding anything great I hit a good signal a pretty good distance away from the house in an area that apparently had been a cornfield at some point but was now mowed and part of the lawn. Imagine seeing this. didn't know what it was at first...thought it may have been a button with the shank broken off where the eye is on the back of the coin. Oh yeah, one more thing..I'm not very computer literate and I just got my digital camera recently so I hope these pictures come out OK....
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0325.webp
    IMG_0325.webp
    42.7 KB · Views: 5,088
  • IMG_0324.webp
    IMG_0324.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 5,157
Upvote 6
WHAT A GREAT FIND..!!!! NOW IN THE 2008 BLUE BOOK IT SAYS,

1786, PLOW TYPE VERMONTENSIUM.........

G.......$135
VG.....$260
F.......$500
VF.....$1,000
EF.....$2,000

But it the way that it made it into you possession that make it priceless !!! NOT EVERY DAY you wake up and find such a rare find of 1786 that's for sure...!!!
 
congrats! That's really in good shape! Once in a lifetime find for sure!
:)
I found a Nova Constellatio with no date (1783-1786) and it was a ratty looking thing I plucked from 12" deep.
 
Rob,

Nice dig, buddy! :headbang: :hello2: May 2008 bring you more of those! :happy1: :icon_salut: :hello2:

Keep the passion high! :headbang:

Kirk
 
Nice find!!!! I hope it is real :thumbsup: I have one that looks just like it, but it is a museum collectable piece.:occasion14:
 
al pal 72 said:
That is so cool. Congrats!
Wow. I haven't seen this post in a while. Thanks for the response al pal.. (and the bump to the top) ::)
KirkPA said:
Rob,

Nice dig, buddy! :headbang: :hello2: May 2008 bring you more of those! :happy1: :icon_salut: :hello2:

Keep the passion high! :headbang:

Kirk
Hey Kirk. Long time no talk buddy. I was surprised to see this one at the top again. Best of luck to you too in 2008. Looking forward to some nice coppers from your crew.
Rob66 said:
Nice find!!!! I hope it is real :thumbsup: I have one that looks just like it, but it is a museum collectable piece.:occasion14:
I'm pretty sure its the real deal....judging from where it was found and what else was found near it. I also found another 1787 Vermont copper nearby, and several large cents. Thanks for the response.
 
Nice copper! Most of the ones I have seen were so bad you couldn't tell what they were. And I think, ho hum....but this one is nice. Monty
 
Evolution said:
The coin was found at about 5 inches and rang up pretty solidly as a mid 70's VDI on the DFX. The depth was one reason i thought that that particular area of the lawn used to be a cornfield. The other reason of course being the scratches on the obverse of the coin. I think it's pretty ironic that the area of the coin that features a farmers plow in a field was more than likely hit by a farmers plow in a field to cause those scratches.

That is hilarious, I love irony!!! That is a STELLA find!!! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom