1787 Nova Eborac Copper and a Phoenix Button

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coin won’t win any contest for eye appeal or best preserved find, but I believe that any fan of early colonial coppers will appreciate this 1787 Nova Eborac copper. It was issued by New York (or Nova Eborac in Latin). The date is not visible, but this copper only had a one year run. Some other coppers issued by New York are quite rare. Nova Eborac coppers are not rare, although they are scarce. This does not translate to much value for this coin, especially due to the its poor condition, but that’s alright with me. I figured I would post it up on T-Net, as I don’t recall many posts for Nova Eborac coppers.

download 10-21-15 015.JPG

download 10-21-15 002.JPG

Surprisingly, I just found this coin at the same site that produced the George Washington Inaugural button that I had posted around fall of last year. I refer to the site as my GWI button site, but I might also refer this area as the Triple Nova Site. It’s produced 13 coppers including a Nova Constellatio copper, a Nova Caesarea (New Jersey) copper, and now a Nova Eborac copper – Triple Nova! It also gave up a Fugio, along with King George coppers and early US large cents. I never had a site to work that’s produced such a wide variety of coppers. So what’s next? :confused::confused: I’d gladly take a Higley copper or Chain Cent. Who knows? A little wishful thinking won’t do me any harm.

Ephraim Brasher, who minted the famous Brasher doubloons, produced the Nova Eborac coppers as well. The letter punches used in making the Nova Eborac copper are identical to the punches used on the Brasher doubloon.

download 10-21-15 037.JPG

I also found a 27th Regiment Phoenix button only 12 feet from where I dug the Nova Eborac copper. These buttons were produced for the uniforms of the army of King Christophe of Haiti. Each button carries the French motto "Je Renais de Med Cendres" (I am reborn from my ashes) encircling a Phoenix with spread wings over a nest of fire and a regiment number. King Christophe committed suicide just before his govererment was overthrown in 1820. Conventional wisdom from all the scholars out there claimed that a huge quantity of these buttons were sent to the far west of the United States for use as trade goods, yet I’ve seen a a few found by detectorists in New England. I’m sure other are being found back along the East Coast and elsewhere.

Good Hunting to All!

Upvote 15

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a couple really rare finds. There are individuals who keep track of where Phoenix buttons are found as it is fascinating to track them through history as most made it to the shores of the NW USA through the Hudson Bay Trading Co. I assume you are on the East Coast so even more rare to find one all the way across the USA. Also, quite collectible ;-)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love seeing your posts buddy. The finds are sleays top notch and I love that you take the time to fully explain the history we are looking at. That copper is one that we very rarely see posted. And I love that button. Great history as well. That's a dream site for sure. I hope that chain cent is hiding in the dirt for you buddy

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the copper! Button is great. Congrats....Hogge

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude you are in an awesome area, I take it you are on the East Coast. Love those finds, especially that old copper. I am certain that you will swing your coil over a Higley copper or Chain Cent someday. I like reading your posts, you certainly know what your talking about.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We see quite a few copies of that button, so its nice to see the real deal - CONGRATS. Also as you say not to many of that coin either which at least has enough detail for a good ID. You must be happy.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of excellent information. I know where to go for information when I finally find some identifiable early colonial coins, lol.
Great saves.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since it is in much better condition than either colonial I've found ( and I was happy as could be ), I think it is beautiful. The rarity of posts here with that coin makes it even more attractive. Thanks for the info included.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Some great finds there Jim. I can't believe the incredible assortment of coppers that have come from this one site. That should bode well for a few more to eventually pop out. Congrats, and nice job on the Phoenix button too.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds ! :icon_thumleft:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Nova Eborac. And no, we don't see them on here often. Seldom and rarely are two words that comes to mind actually. Great copper and I hope you find more. Aaaaaand, that Phoenix is phenomenal! ...buttons...sigh

Steve

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man i love old buttons. something about them just really appeals to me. great job on the old copper find too

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a couple really rare finds. There are individuals who keep track of where Phoenix buttons are found as it is fascinating to track them through history as most made it to the shores of the NW USA through the Hudson Bay Trading Co. I assume you are on the East Coast so even more rare to find one all the way across the USA. Also, quite collectible ;-)

49r Relics — Thanks for the compliments, and yes, I’m on the East Coast — Rhode Island to be exact. For a button dating back to the early 1800's, it really got in a lot of time traveling — Made in England for use in Haiti, it was instead brought to the Pacific Northwest for use by an American trade. The buttons were then apparently bought up by the British Hudson Bay Company. They became popular trade items with Indians, particularly along the lower Columbia River in Oregon. How this button and a few others found in New England made it across the US to the far East Coast is anyone’s guess. They initially came to the West Coast by ship. That button has done some traveling! :walk::walk::walk:

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great finds there Jim. I can't believe the incredible assortment of coppers that have come from this one site. That should bode well for a few more to eventually pop out. Congrats, and nice job on the Phoenix button too.

Thanks Bill - I appreciate the words of support. That site gave some real insight on the surprising amount of finds that sadly often remain just beyond the grasp of a detectorist when searching cellar holes. The cellar hole at this site produced only two coppers and little else over several hunts. Then the site got bulldozed, and I went on to recover a dozen early coppers, buttons (including a GWI button), and so much more. The site was graded and seeded late last fall, and I've given it a whole year for the grass to grow in and take root. The owner has given me permission to start searching again. I got the New York copper, the Phoenix button, and little else on my first return trip (nearly a two hour hunt). I covered about 5% on this first return trip. I may grid the entire area and search it all over again.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I can't even remember if it was a Button, I know I found something with the exact image and of the same time period and patina as your phoenix button though.
I'm pretty sure it was a button though. I'm in Mass. I didn't know anything about it until now.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds and that copper is in phenomenal condition!

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds!! Sounds like a great site!?! I also got a Nova Eborac this year. I think it's just really cool to have a coin minted by EB. Anyways, thanks for sharing. HH

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Color me jealous. I have a beautiful Nova Eborac, but not one I found with my metal detector. They are rare coming out of the ground. Really nice going and a nice coin!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It'd be nice to dig an old copper that was only produced for one year as it makes for an easier ID and puts the rarity up there for getting one out of the ground. Liking the button and it refreshed the memory somewhat of reading about them years ago and the Hudson Bay Company bringing them into the Pacific Northwest region of the lower Columbia River system, I just wished that the upper Columbia system had produced finds like this quality button. It must be a good feeling to be able to return to the site again after the planting, good luck on the return hunts and may one of the want list coppers come to light, or even a silver. Thanks for giving some the history behind the finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions