What's new

1790 coin anybody know what it is?

smcdmc

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2011
Messages
304
Reaction score
71
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought it cheap just because of the year and I liked it. Don't know what it is or if there is any value to it. I would assume not more than a couple dollars, but I have know idea.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9680.webp
    IMG_9680.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,259
  • IMG_9681.webp
    IMG_9681.webp
    44 KB · Views: 1,272
It is a ,, doit ,, (duit ) . Isssued by the ,, Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie ,, (VOC ) . The largest trading company at that time ( spices etc .from the spice islands in Indonesia ). Cornelius
 
Duits (not necessarily this particular variety) were also used in the Americas while under Dutch rule.
You may wish to invert the bottom pic for proper alignment.
Don....
 
Mackaydon said:
Duits (not necessarily this particular variety) were also used in the Americas while under Dutch rule.
You may wish to invert the bottom pic for proper alignment.
Don....

Oops! Wasn't paying attention.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9681-1.webp
    IMG_9681-1.webp
    44 KB · Views: 1,015
Some sell these as VOC copper Colonial coins and they're common in this condition. I think $5-10 is average value.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom