1790s US Silver at Incredible Ball Field Site

jrmazzeo

Mar 16, 2012
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hunted the old ball field 2 more times since my last post. Earlier this week I had a 9 silver dime day, including 2 Barbers, 6 Mercs and a Rosie. Today I spent a full day at the site as it closes for the season tomorrow. What a day! 9 more silver coins, for a total of 65 silver coins in 7 hunts (not to mention that my buddy, who found 4 the day I found 18, also found 6 more silver dimes today, which puts the site's total at 75 silver coins).

What made today special is the variety of silver coins that were found. It started off with the no date SLQ, then the 1930 Merc, then the 1948 D Washington, followed by 2 of the Rosies. Next was the 1877 seated dime (second seated dime at the site), followed almost immediately by the 1892 Barber Quarter. Then another Rosie before we broke for lunch.

It was only about 32 degrees today, but there was no wind and the ground was still soft. A hot coffee at lunch gave me the energy to get back our for a few more hours. Almost right after the lunch break, pulled out what I believe is a holed 179? US half dime. You can read United States on the back and it has an Eagle. The front is very worn but you can clearly see the numbers 79, There are also several stars visible on the front as well as a little bit of hair. It is smaller than a dime. Pretty cool! I wish it were in better shape but still an amazing find. Obviously it was lost well after it was minted, given the wear and the fact that it was holed.

Also found 4 IHs and a 2 cent piece. To say this site has been great would be an understatement. Last year, which was my first full year with the Safari, I found 179 silver coins. About a month ago I was happy to just reach 100, never dreaming I would get close to last year's total. After today, I am at 166 silver coins for the year. If the weather cooperates, and I can find another site like this, you never know.

I hope you all can find a site like this to enjoy. Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    784.3 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    709.3 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 365
Upvote 22

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastically rare find amigo ! Even in that condition the chances of finding Draped Bust silver are slim and none (and slim left town )
I'm voting BANNER on rarity alone .

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

Being the small eagle, and judging by the bottom of the last almost missing number, it has to be 1796.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jrmazzeo

Mar 16, 2012
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup:

Being the small eagle, and judging by the bottom of the last almost missing number, it has to be 1796.

Thank you very much for the information. I agree, because of the small eagle it has to be either 1796 or 1797. You can't see it in the photo, but there does appear to be a very slight arc to the left of the hole that would indicate a 6 vs. a 7.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive variety of old silver!! Yes, I've been looking for a spot that has just one silver coin.........

Nice post Great Finds :)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd call that site Santa Land.....it keeps giving and giving you some nice gifts!

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Early Silver! I Vote Banner Also.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an amazing early US silver. So rare. Definetely banner. My 1796 half dime was holed too.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any 1700's U.S. silver should make banner in my book. Besides, there were only 10,230 1796 Draped Bust half dimes minted and you found one! Repeat, only 10,230 minted. Sensational find.

Last edited:

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a haul!!! Congrats on an awesome hunt.......

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I missing something? Looks like a mexican reale. Nice coin no matter what it tis. congrats

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely no doubt that it is a bust dime. You can just make it out.

That is an incredible spot to have such a variety of coins and over 200 years worth of dates. I would be out there every day hunting a place like that.

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Congratulations on all your finds and an unbelievable site! The barbers are in great condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread