1791 Treaty--New York Cased silver watch. Need information.Humbert & Mairet.

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1791 Treaty--New York Cased silver watch. Need information.Humbert & Mairet.

Humbert & Mairet. Movement. I believe this company made watches going back to at least 1730...
Marks inside ..
'DHC,' '3552,' '3362,' 'T15.'

Engraved Alexander M. "unreadable" Now verified as McGillivray.

Present of G. Washington

1791 Treaty-New York
(I do know 1791 was date of treaty with Creek Indian Nation.)

It is key wind, of course...
This watch has been given to be ID..ed
It could end up on national TV.
Any thing you might come up with..Please.
Sorry.these are the only photo's I have at the moment.
Thank You!!
DG

Attachments

• tnetone.jpg
    tnetone.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,233
  • tnettwwo.jpg
    tnettwwo.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,415
  • tetthree.jpg
    tetthree.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 962

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 1791 Treaty--New York Cased silver watch. Need information.Humbert & Mairet.

dg39,nice watch,thats the 1st key wind pocket ive ever seen outside of a museum
i havent looked through these pgs,you might find some history here on
Alexander McGillivray (ca. 1750-1793)

INDIAN AFFAIRS: LAWS AND TREATIES
TREATY WITH THE CREEKS, 1790.
Aug. 7, 1790 | 7 Stat., 35. | Proclamation, Aug. 13, 1790.
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/kappler/Vol2/treaties/cre0025.htm

source
Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties.
Vol. II (Treaties) in part. Compiled and edited by Charles J. Kappler.
Washington : Government Printing Office, 1904.
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/kappler/VOL2/toc.htm

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 1791 Treaty--New York Cased silver watch. Need information.Humbert & Mairet.

5woodluther said:
The Gifts given at the signing were a string of beads and a plug of tobacco to commermorate the new friendship.

My guess is that if there is a per trail to be found on this, it will be in the Washington archives and not online. Also, it may be useful to try and determine the jewelers that Washington may have purchased from.

Another good source may be another TV chanel, and that is the "history detectives" from PBS....Just a thought. If they would take up the case, it would increase the exposure of the item as well as they have the access to archives.

also found this comment about Washington's personal watch:"

Yes, George Washington had pocket watches (he also gave pocket watches away to friends). His friend Gouverneur Morris bought a watch in Paris from Antoine LÈPINE; which was brought to America by Thomas Jefferson.

May also try : NAWCC.org - the national watch and clock collectors museum

"

The jeweler angle is a great idea! Washington was known to frequent the shop of Philadelphia jeweler Ephraim Clark. Here are a couple of pics of an Ephraim Clark watch:

clarkemvmt.jpg

clarkedial.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0

5woodluther

Dec 4, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In the national archives there is records by Knox detailing what was spent on gifts for the Creeks in reference to the New York Treaty, but I am not able to access it online. It is shown to exist though if you look through the war department records.

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

so far i havent found mention of the watch,and a lot of pgs need transcribed
to see them,i do believe the watch was a gift/present from GW,following the key
words seems to produce more material,so finding that tidbit,to authenticate the
watch,could take a lot of time,and several searchers,as in us,LOL im out of time
today for more searching of that tidbit,ill look again in a few days

one tidbit i found,is the place where someone mentioned,that the watch could have
been made, McGillivray and chiefs could have passed through philly,no img,you would
have to register and transcribe it,there is a lot of material to go through,in these links
our gov dosent seem to know, how to utilize a search engine,LOL
may have went through philly
http://wardepartmentpapers.org/document.php?id=4525

source
July 15, 1790
Regarding Alexander McGillivray and the Creek chiefs passing through Philadelphia
Thomas Mifflin
Henry Knox
Knox can assure President Washington that, if Alexander McGillivray and the Creek chiefs
pass through Philadelphia on their way to New York, they will receive every proper attention.
http://wardepartmentpapers.org/sear...ccounts+McGillivray&submitSearchSimple=Search

Viewing 1–25 of 171 documents: "presents"
http://wardepartmentpapers.org/searchresults.php?searchClass=fulltextSearch&fulltextQuery=presents

Viewing 1–25 of 4,221 documents: "accounts McGillivray"
http://wardepartmentpapers.org/sear...ccounts+McGillivray&submitSearchSimple=Search

Viewing 26–50 of 2,909 documents: "presents to Indians"
http://wardepartmentpapers.org/sear...textQuery=presents to Indians&orderBy=&page=2

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The war department records offer some interesting insight and really frame the importance of this treaty to Washington. But if there is any information to be found about this watch, it will be in the archives of George Washington as 5woodluther said. This watch is a personal item. If it was offical it would be inscribed as from the "President". Because it only has Washington's name on it (not his title), I think that lends more credence to this being given by him personally to McGillivray.

Maybe there is something in Washington's diary. We know the dates so it should be easy enough to check.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

5woodluther

Dec 4, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

university of virginia library has a lot of Washingtons diaries etc online.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Once again I would like to thank those who helped in making this story more detailed. I am in a position where I will probably be bringing more artifacts into the lime light as time progresses. I must underline the fact, I am taking no comission for the research I am doing with your help. This item along with others will be on a show called Cajun Pawn Stars on the History Network. I am slated to film a segment on the watch this coming Tuesday..It will be aired probably in the next four or five months. It is fun to do and I hope it will make people more aware of the history of our country in artifacts that is still out in the world floating around, waiting to be discovered and preserved for future generations.
I will not mark this post as solved, because I do not think it ever will be. Too bad we do not have a time machine to take us back to 1791. Please visit our website: www.louisianahistorymuseum.org

Thank you for your help.
DG39

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again I would like to thank those who helped in making this story more detailed. I am in a position where I will probably be bringing more artifacts into the lime light as time progresses. I must underline the fact, I am taking no comission for the research I am doing with your help. This item along with others will be on a show called Cajun Pawn Stars on the History Network. I am slated to film a segment on the watch this coming Tuesday..It will be aired probably in the next four or five months. It is fun to do and I hope it will make people more aware of the history of our country in artifacts that is still out in the world floating around, waiting to be discovered and preserved for future generations.
I will not mark this post as solved, because I do not think it ever will be. Too bad we do not have a time machine to take us back to 1791. Please visit our website: www.louisianahistorymuseum.org

Thank you for your help.
DG39

dg39 aka, mr finley,i just happen to catch the replay episode last nite,and the pawn shop
expert told you about the same, as we found out about the watch,are we good or what, if
it was me id say solved,so what becomes of the watch now

full episode with mr finley and the watch
Cajun Pawn Stars — Full Episodes — History.com Videos
'Cajun Pawn Stars': George Washington's Pocket Watch (VIDEO)
Posted: 06/07/2012 3:42 am Updated: 06/07/2012 10:22 am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...-washington-pocket-watch-video_n_1576619.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

awhatley

May 31, 2012
marion, louisiana
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Bounty Hunter, son uses a JR Bounty Hunter, 2 modified centech pointers, fisher f2, fisher pinpointer, harbor freight detector, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seen that watch on last weeks cajun pawn stars. Big Daddy stated "this could be a million dollar watch!" but the local historian only valued it around 100K

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McGillivray Pocket Watch

This is part of my family's history and I provided the Smithsonian with its full traveling history. McGillivray was my 5th great grandfather. We still own the 1769 house on McGillivray lands. Thanks for keeping it relevant. Washington, Washington Presentation1.jpg Washington, Washington Presentation1.jpg

Upvote 0

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was mentioned that this site is a great source of info for the serious student,etc.Might I add that it,s also a great source for the guy who enjoys reading and learning about the history of this great country.I,ve learned much here and continue to learn every day,the day you stop learning you may as well give it up!Thanks to all who so graciously share their knowledge and experience.This is a wonderful story about a subject i was unaware of and would probably never have known about otherwise.Again,thanks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread