What's new

1793 Liberty Cap

Bartman

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
403
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Location
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
I know it's toast, but I can clearly make out the 3. The 3 is right in the bottom middle. I thought it was too far over, but the location matches up with the redbook pics that I've seen. The angles on the 3 are also pretty distinct. First coin that I dug all day. It was a loud 89 on the t2. Reverse has less detail.



 
Upvote 12
I got a 1794 capped half last year and if it wasn't for taking a quick pic after it came fresh out of the ground. We never would have known what I had, lost all detail after it dried.
Congrats on your find!!
 
Sorry but the bust looks like a coronet cent, still a good find congrats
 
Can you show us a pic of the thickness and reverse? Also the diameter if possible?
 
Sorry but the bust looks like a coronet cent, still a good find congrats

its a liberty cap , you can see the head and nose facing right, dont see any date though
 
Can you show us a pic of the thickness and reverse? Also the diameter if possible?

I'm with you Scrappy. It looks too thin to be a '93. Probably a '95.
 
I'm with you Scrappy. It looks too thin to be a '93. Probably a '95.

It's definitely a liberty cap. I'll try and take some better pics when I get home. If I put a red box around the 3 you'd definitely see it. The coin is pretty thick. At first I thought I was seeing things but the 3 is pretty distinct.
 
Last edited:
Oh it's definitely a liberty cap, but I don't think a '93. The 1793's had a strait top on the 3. What in some ways looks like a 3 also looks like a 6 with part of the number corroded away. Think it's a 1796 liberty cap myself although others may disagree. Great find regardless. The liberty caps don't come up nearly as often as the draped busts.
 
Don, my previous comments were directed to others regarding the liberty cap validation. I've highlighted the "3" in the black box and drawn a red "3" next to it to better orient the eye. Sorry, the pics just don't represent what I can see with the naked eye.
 
Try putting heavy cream on it , won't hurt it at all!
A couple of drops and leave it sit a few minutes. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463674185.591205.webp
 
Last edited:
Oh it's definitely a liberty cap, but I don't think a '93. The 1793's had a strait top on the 3. What in some ways looks like a 3 also looks like a 6 with part of the number corroded away. Think it's a 1796 liberty cap myself although others may disagree. Great find regardless. The liberty caps don't come up nearly as often as the draped busts.

I'm with you, and the 3 looks more like a 6 in that pic to me. Everyone can go back and forth about what they see, but dimensions don't lie.
 
Nice find whatever it is.........
 
The only thing that's throwing me off is the liberty headband I can see on it. On the top at about the 1 o'clock position..
 
Last edited:
I can see enough detail to justify calling it a Liberty Cap, but even though I see what you are saying when it comes to the "3", I wouldn't call it conclusive. Either way, it's definitely a great find. Congrats.
 
nice find! What is its weight? It does look a bit thin for a '93. On that alone, I'm thinking later-date Lib Cap.
 
I see what you mean now. You can kind of see the word liberty around the perimeter of the coin and a matron head wouldn't have that. Its strange that I seem to be seeing a liberty headband... my eyes are probably playing tricks on me. It's hard to unsee something you've already seen. I agree with the liberty cap ID now.
 
The thickness is a dead giveaway its a later date but it's still a good find. I've wished a 93 on some of lib caps I've found only to be straightened out by some knowledgeable people on here. Great find!
 
.....I've even danced around my house clutching a 1796 no pole half cent only to have my retirement dreams crushed by some knowledgeable people on here. Trust me, these people are the biggest buzzkills around [emoji3]
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom