Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
1798 & 1822 large cents before da blizzard

With the forecasts being 18-24" of snow where I love, I figured I'd get out for a bit. I found a couple large cents, a bunch of buttons, and a nice early 19th century spoon.

Not soon after my hunt I was recalled to my ship to ride out the storm (big surge and high winds), so all I was able to clean were the coins.

1822 in da hole
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489493630.693946.jpg

1798 in situ
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489493755.776331.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489788871.759347.jpg

Cleaned (ish)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489493849.490629.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489493867.683958.jpg

Well enjoy the snow. We'll probably be sidelined around Northern NJ for the better part of a week.

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 30
Wayda keep the copper train rolling. Looks like the storm won't be as bad in your area as originally advertised so hopefully you can get back to digging soon.

Two nice looking large cents! I'm hoping that they over-hyped this storm, and that its not as bad as predicted. So far, so good

NICE!! 2 beautiful coppers Scrap...I somehow stumbled across an 1852 Largie Sunday and while the reverse was pristine, the obverse was kinda crusty...now..if I may..ask about cleaning this coin...i know this is asked every day, BUT...the coin is all there, and the obverse has the green, scaly build-up that I want to remove without compromising the coin...Congrats on a great day! God bless and be safe! Ddf

Sure love the old copper, congratulations! :notworthy:

Haaaa ha, every time I send you a pic you go out and find one (or two) just a little bit better in detail. I'll have to keep sending you pix, you owe me, lol
Sweet coppers buddy, good work getting out.

Really nice Steve. This year is turning out to be incredible. Very nice detail for dug coppers.

Congrats Scrappy!

You are a MACHINE.

SCRAP WE GOT 10 INCHES WERE I LIVE .MAN YOU MUST HAVE ALOT OF GOOD PLACES TO GO , NICE FIND

Nothin better than copper before the storm.
Nice

Nice coppas. Are you finding this stuff primarily in wooded homesites?

Wayda keep the copper train rolling. Looks like the storm won't be as bad in your area as originally advertised so hopefully you can get back to digging soon.

Thanks Bill. Those coppers are from the same iron patch I scored several coppers from earlier in the week.

The storm definitely fizzled out, but we still ended up with 8" of "block ice" style snow. We'll be out of luck through the wknd

NICE!! 2 beautiful coppers Scrap...I somehow stumbled across an 1852 Largie Sunday and while the reverse was pristine, the obverse was kinda crusty...now..if I may..ask about cleaning this coin...i know this is asked every day, BUT...the coin is all there, and the obverse has the green, scaly build-up that I want to remove without compromising the coin...Congrats on a great day! God bless and be safe! Ddf

Congrats on the large cent! The side with the crust was facing up so usually every coin has a better side.

Everyone has different opinions about cleaning but one thing I personally stay away from is oil. There's a cleaning forum on Tnet somewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back