17th Century Italian Creamware Marking ID

Asterisk

Jun 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180427_140226[1].jpg 20180427_140226[1].jpg 20180427_140233[1].jpg

Hello all. Glad to be here. I recently picked this early piece up. Looks to be a cruet caddy, and likely 18th century Italian creamware. The title has a typo, 18th not 17th century. The marking on base is very much like the Capo di Monte crown or the predecessor which I forget the name of. But, I cannot find this same mark in any book or online resource bearing the crown only. They always contain other elements. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Asterisk

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. Glad to be here...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Asterisk! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw the same as you. The mark isn't quite the same as Capodimonte.

Here is the same cruet set listed as 1780 - 1800 Italian. Of course it is on Pinterest so there is absolutely no additional information. (Aside: Did I mention I hate Pinterest for this very reason?)

This one appears to be significantly more detailed than yours. I found one other much like this one also on Pinterest. The listing use exactly the same words except they added 'Naples'.

18868c782358aeaa1b30b248f3a51a84.jpg

It makes you wonder that if yours has almost as much detail and almost the correct marking, it could be almost original. Just a thought...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread