What's new

1800s BLOODLETTING DEVICE - ***Solved***

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1800's BLOODLETTING DEVICE - ***Solved***

I dug this thingy up today at an early 1800's property. At first I thought I had dug a small jewelry box, but then woke up. :tongue3:
I think it's brass and possibly an electrical do-dad. :icon_scratch:
Any ideas? No writing anywhere on it.
Thanks,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-055S.webp
    MVC-055S.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,267
  • MVC-056S.webp
    MVC-056S.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,258
  • MVC-057S.webp
    MVC-057S.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,269
  • MVC-058S.webp
    MVC-058S.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,273
  • MVC-059S.webp
    MVC-059S.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,306
Re: Pandora's box???

Thats a really cool find! I have a feeling the lever pushes back and there are slides that come out of the bottom.I have no clue what its used for,but I,ll bet someone else here will
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pandora's box???

wow this may be the next big "what is it."
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pandora's box???

my wild guess something for telegraph.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pandora's box???

I agree it's a bloodletting device. I seen one just like on one of the history channels the other day.

Wolverine.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pandora's box???

WTG prokosla. :thumbsup: Is this banner material?

Heres what it says in Blacksheeps link: A c. 1850 antique bloodletting scarificator with 16 blades.. The blade depth is adjusted by turning the large thumbscrew on top, and it is cocked by pulling back the large lever. A pushbutton trigger to fire the blade is to the side of the scarificator.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pandora's box???

So this was a type of "branding device". Wow, talk about weird a$$ find of the year. :tard:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pandora's box???

72cheyenne said:
So this was a type of "branding device". Wow, talk about weird a$$ find of the year. :tard:
No it is not for branding. It is for human bloodletting, a type of useless and dangerous medical treatment no longer performed. Doctors used to think draining a persons blood could rid the body of a disease. Yes weird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting Blood_letting_machine_mechanism.webp
 

Attachments

  • bloodletting.webp
    bloodletting.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,903
Upvote 0
Re: Pandora's box???

Neat find MM...this is the only "bloodletting" device I have ever found.. :tard:
 

Attachments

  • leeches.gif
    leeches.gif
    37.7 KB · Views: 4,531
Upvote 0
Re: Pandora's box???

prokosla said:
It looks like scarificator for bloodletting.

Awesome ID Prokosla!!! :thumbsup: Thank you & welcome to TN.
-MM-

Blacksheep said:
prokosla said:
It looks like scarificator for bloodletting.

BINGO! Nicely done and welcome to TNET! :thumbsup:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=G

Thanks so much for that link Blacksheep. Very much appreciated. :thumbsup: And I thought it was some sort of electrical box. ;D
-MM-

Mich. Wolverine said:
I agree it's a bloodletting device. I seen one just like on one of the history channels the other day.

Wolverine.

Thanks Wolverine.
I wonder if this is the first one ever posted on TN? :icon_scratch:
-MM-

bigcypresshunter said:
72cheyenne said:
So this was a type of "branding device". Wow, talk about weird a$$ find of the year. :tard:
No it is not for branding. It is for human bloodletting, a type of useless and dangerous medical treatment no longer performed. Doctors used to think draining a persons blood could rid the body of a disease. Yes weird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting

BCH,
Thanks for the great input. What a weird find. :o I'm glad it was pre-AIDS. :tongue3:
-MM-
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pandora's box???

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR GUESSES & INFO. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1800's BLOODLETTING DEVICE - ***Solved***

How cool is that. Neat find MM and great ID prokosla
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: 1800's BLOODLETTING DEVICE - ***Solved***

CAUTION!! Don't try this at home! M :D nty
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1800's BLOODLETTING DEVICE - ***Solved***

Enough to make your blood curdle Ugh!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom