What's new

1800s Chess Piece?

sonnyjam

Full Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
63
Golden Thread
0
I found this about a month ago at an old home site. It is made of copper or brass and is 2 3/8" high, 1 1/8" wide at the base, and 7/8" at the top. Theres no writing on it and it does stand up. The large cent (no date) and the 1840 half dime were found at the same location. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF7038.webp
    DSCF7038.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCF7039.webp
    DSCF7039.webp
    26 KB · Views: 419
  • DSCF7040.webp
    DSCF7040.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 412
  • DSCF7041.webp
    DSCF7041.webp
    30 KB · Views: 409
  • DSCF7042.webp
    DSCF7042.webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 425
  • DSCF7043.webp
    DSCF7043.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 419
If it is solid on both ends, then I'd say that is a distinct possibility for an ID. There ought to be a photo of a similar set around somewhere. Cast copper or brass chess pieces were certainly not made "in the field."

Cool piece!


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for your input. I think you're right Crusader, it does look like a leg to a pot. The top of it appears to be broken. I added the pictures of how it would sit.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF7056.webp
    DSCF7056.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCF7055.webp
    DSCF7055.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
sonnyjam said:
Thank you everyone for your input. I think you're right Crusader, it does look like a leg to a pot. The top of it appears to be broken. I added the pictures of how it would sit.

not look like, is 8) :wink:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom