1800s Courthouse finds

Truesearcher

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2009
1800's Courthouse finds

They are adding handicap access to the old court house in town and I got permission to dig. I have found a several nice coins
and artifacts. I found what I think to be a sword tip about 6" long. It was very rusty, so I scrapped and blasted just to make it out. I found two 1865 indian heads and one 1896. Found a dozen or so wheats ranging from 1920-1954. Found 3 buttons, the first was an eagle cuff button. the second one, I could make out RICH and ORANGE, the third has a spherical shape and is decorative but no writing. It appears to be pressed bronze with a little silver plating remaining on the top. If anyone has an idea what it is I would appreciate your help identifying it. I also found a dozen 30-06 shell casings in the front. The one that I am beating myself up over was lost due to inexperience. I thought that I found a canon ball, it was about 3"-4" diameter and when I dug it up the thing was covered in a white powder. I know that I has saw this on bullets posted. However when it finally popped out it was hollow and the back side was also covered in the white powder, so I assumed it was junk. Later I was explaining it to a friend and he informed me that some cannon balls were filled with black powder. The next day I went back to recover it, but the excavation had already removed the dirt. So, question #2 is it true that cannon balls were hollow.
I 'm sure you are wondering what a cannon ball would be doing in a court house yard. The answer is that in line of sight stood a civil war barracks.

Attachments

• Court-house-finds 002.jpg
    Court-house-finds 002.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 709
  • Court-house-finds 003.jpg
    Court-house-finds 003.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 697
  • Court-house-finds 005.jpg
    Court-house-finds 005.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 703
  • Court-house-finds 006.jpg
    Court-house-finds 006.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 709
  • Court-house-finds 007.jpg
    Court-house-finds 007.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 694
Upvote 0
Re: 1800's Courthouse finds

Nice finds,

That 65 looks great. Must have been a good yr for copper. The 65 holds up well. I have found numerous 65's.

HH Jer

Very nice eagle button.....i like finding indains also, i'd call that a good day!

keep diggin,

randall

way cool finds :icon_thumleft: nice buttons MR TUFF

Nice digs. I like buttons! :icon_thumleft:

First off, that's a GREAT looking 1865! :thumbsup:

And those post-CW "chicken" eagles are always cool finds.

I would like to see a photo of the reverse side of the domed, decorative button.

Regards,

Buckles

BuckleBoy said:
First off, that's a GREAT looking 1865! :thumbsup:

And those post-CW "chicken" eagles are always cool finds.

I would like to see a photo of the reverse side of the domed, decorative button.

Regards,

Buckles

The diameter is about 7/8" The post in the back is rectangular, not round

Attachments

• Court-house-finds 014.jpg
    Court-house-finds 014.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 523
  • Court-house-finds 013.jpg
    Court-house-finds 013.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 532
  • Court-house-finds 018.jpg
    Court-house-finds 018.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 514

Although 'orange colour" etc. is pretty common for flat buttons, your backmark is a little unusual. Can you make a larger scan of the backmark so we can read what is in the middle? thanks.

Great hunt congrats on those IH's.

Congrats on some nice Indians and the cool buttons. :icon_thumleft:

I wish I could make out the center words. Perhaps there is enough definition for someone who has experience with buttons.
I have 3 or 4 buttons that I found in the past which have the same 2 words ORANGE and RICH. I was hoping to be able to able to get some history.

Attachments

• Court-house-finds 019.jpg
    Court-house-finds 019.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 283
  • Court-house-finds 020.jpg
    Court-house-finds 020.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 270
  • Court-house-finds 021.jpg
    Court-house-finds 021.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Court-house-finds 022.jpg
    Court-house-finds 022.jpg