1810's Russian copper and 1881 $10 gold

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
A couple of weeks ago I dug a rare $1 1856-S gold coin that I posted here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...indian-princess-rare-silver-lady-liberty.html

Oddly I guess rare gold coins no longer make the cut for banner here, but last weekend Tom_in_CA and myself got out for some detecting and dang nabbit if he didn't also dig a gold coin!! I dug an interesting big Russian 2 Kopecks copper coin the size of a U.S. large cent from the reign of Aleksandr I, can't quite make out the date, but they only minted the coin between 1810-1830. Great site, unfortunately the nice California weather is already facilitating excessive grass growth, so we were severely handicapped at a significant portion of our site, but we'll definitely be back :thumbsup:

Here's the finds:

IMG_2402.jpg IMG_2403.jpg

MSA1.jpg 20200309_100322.jpg

GL&HH,
Cal

Upvote 45

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful gold coin.

Depth? Which detector did you use?

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Congrats to you and Tom both. Yea I don't know why your post from a couple of weeks ago didn't make banner. I seen quit a few people voted banner on it. In the last month or so I seen several others that I think should have made it also, they too had a lot of nominations but didn't make the top.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT! There are apparently a LOT of gold coins still in the ground. I think we discriminate out a lot of them looking for silver coins.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Amazing

Congrats to you guys on the gold coins. I cant find one for the life of me. And I've dug tens of thousands of old coins in the past 26 yrs.

They get dug in my area to. Bumped into a guy last week who dug two in the same park we were hunting.

One day maybe. I dig every damn signal in the ground to. Just super rare to find.

Jer

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find ! Banner every which way !!!! ( or cancel this whole banner nonsense !) Hard to believe that's a dug coin.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Congrats to you and Tom both. Yea I don't know why your post from a couple of weeks ago didn't make banner. I seen quit a few people voted banner on it. In the last month or so I seen several others that I think should have made it also, they too had a lot of nominations but didn't make the top.

Thanks, appreciate it. It's odd, but it is what it is I suppose.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GREAT! There are apparently a LOT of gold coins still in the ground. I think we discriminate out a lot of them looking for silver coins.

They're definitely out there. Took me forever to find my first one, and a couple of years go the second one. This is Tom_in_CA's 16th gold coin, pretty amazing, he has been detecting for something like 40+ years though.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Amazing

Congrats to you guys on the gold coins. I cant find one for the life of me. And I've dug tens of thousands of old coins in the past 26 yrs.

They get dug in my area to. Bumped into a guy last week who dug two in the same park we were hunting.

One day maybe. I dig every damn signal in the ground to. Just super rare to find.

Jer

Don't give up, their definitely out there. Tens of thousands of old coins, I'd enjoy seeing your collection :icon_thumleft:

GL&HH,
Cal

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice rare coin. Like you said it seems everyone is digging gold coins these days. I would be happy with either coin that you dug. I know Tom has dug a lot of them.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you found a 1 dollar gold princess recently and now a 10 dollar gold eagle?! Holy cow that's incredible and totally unfair. I want to find one too! Jeez. Huge congrats to you!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I wish I could find just ONE gold anything. Coin, ring ect. Huge congrats to you. You are a lucky man.

To bad your first didn't make banner. Also a super awesome find. My guess is because there is already a gold coin up there.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I do see an awful lot of gold coins posted nowadays. Although one of the greatest goals in detecting, I think they’re falling off the rarity bell curve just a hair. My buddy dug a mid-1800’s10-franc gold coin last year and it missed banner. And he’s the only one in my very accomplished group that’s dug one. Crusader has dug 2000year old gold that didn’t make banner. That said, I’m pretty envious of that $10 gold you dug. It’s an incredible find

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those coins are freakin cool that gold coin is banner banner banner all day long. Thanks for sharing those. Keep em coming. Tommy

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to Tom and his West Coast Lies :laughing7:
Nothing has made the Banner since January.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread