1828 Large Cent found in 3 minutes!

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my wife and I were up at my mothers house to celebrate her birthday, which is also the location of my detection honey hole. The house I grew up in has a field with a cellar hole next to it that I have pulled dozens of colonial coins and hundreds of colonial buttons out of over the years. Today I asked my wife if I could run out between the rain storm and squeeze in 5 to 10 minutes of detecting before our newborn woke up. She said yes and so I strapped the 11 inch coil that I just got onto my XP Deus and put it on 4 kilohertz for the first time. I have mainly detected the whole field in higher frequencies. It certainly paid off! Within three minutes I had a solid 94 squeeking through and I could see and hear that it was deep. I dug down and scooped out about 8 to 10 inches of soil and immediately saw a large round disc spill back into the hole and I imediately knew I had something good. It's pretty toasted and honestly looked a little better with some of the dirt on it. The two notches that you see appear to be very old and it is obvious that they were there before the coin was dropped. The notches are both of the same angle and my guess is that somebody 200 years ago used it against a grinding wheel of some sort because it this way to clean to be a stamped out feature. Anyone have any ideas? In the same field I have actually found a large sent that looks like it had been hit repetitively with a chisel and I have also found a hold coin. My guess is that it was used to test some sort of grinding tool or that a child was screwing around with his parents money and a grinding wheel. Overall it was the most productive detection outing I've ever had when you consider the time/payoff ratio. Now I can't wait to scour over the solid 2 acre field in four kilohertz nice and slow
IMG_7207.JPG IMG_7206.JPG

Upvote 18

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty awesome LC, congrats

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a super nice find...long time since it has seen the light of day....Congrats !!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the large cent recovery! :occasion14:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My guess is a file was used to create those notches. Either way sweet find.

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a puzzle? wonder if someone was attempting to make a gear or something? congrats and thanks for the back story.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your new world speed record. An excellent find to set it with too! Hopefully lots more to come. The real bonus is that you have cleaned out so much over the years that most signals will be good finds. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread