1829, and 1830-1838 Rendezvous sites in Wyoming.

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.
I didn't know exactly where to put this, but since it is about a couple of leads thought this was the best place to post.

I went to check out the 1830-1838 Rendezvous site in Wyoming, apparently it used to be an attraction site for a while after the rendezvous, probably in the early 1900s or so. Now there is a couple of ponds before you get to the rendezvous, and people go there to fish frequently.

You have to walk about 300 yards passing the ponds to get to the 1830-1838 rendezvous. I saw a sign outside the site which gave a phone number and the name of a person in charge of the site in case anyone saw anything illegal going on.

I called the number but Lew (the man in charge) had gone out, he was gone for most of the day unfortunately. He called me back tonight, at around 8pm, I was already gone from the site, but he gave me permission to MD at the site.

Anyways, I got at the site at around 2 pm, and since I coulnd't get a hold of Lew to get permission, although I didn't see any warning sites not to MD, and there was no clear indication that the site was labeled as an historical site, although there were plaques of the most important people who went to the rendezvous, but i didn't want to take any chances, so instead of grabbing my MD, I took my digital camera with me and took pictures of the place.

I got to tell you, this place is the worse nightmare for a THer. People come and go from this place almost everyday I would say. Today there were like 6 people, mostly at the ponds fishing, but an old lady went to the rendezvous site with her dog.... I also saw fresh tracks of horses, cows, other dogs, and even a dirt bike or two at the rendezvous site....

Anyways, the place is full of pull taps, beer caps, there is broken glass everywhere, I found plastic shotgun shell casings, .22 casings, found all this without any digging. There is at least a century worth of trash, mostly small items, which will probably take a week or two just to clean up the place of the trash.

I also went to the back of the rendezvous, to the forest area just to check it out, and apparently it was used as a dump site, there was an old, probably 1950-1970 wooden cart, the wood was rotting but it had thin pneumatic tires, and the surrounding area in the backwoods had several wooden pallets and other wooden trash, so i went back to the main site to take some pictures. Here they are.

Here is the old wooden entrance gate to the site.

P1010044.JPG

P1010043.JPG

The old information booth right after the entrance gate.

P1010042.JPG

I found the following plaque surrounded by trees. It is the only wooden plaque I saw at the site.
it says "John Weber 1823"

I did a search online, but the only thing I found was a John henry Weber in Utah who led the first party of american trappers accross the continental divide. But the reference was to Utah, so I am not sure why in this site it also has the same date, maybe he passed by here?, although i didn't find anything online about it, and the wooden plaque was the only one which mentioned this man.

P1010030.JPG

Here are some of the many modern plaques with information about the site.

P1010038.JPG

P1010040.JPG

Here are some pics of what appears to be some old picnic areas. This first one was enclosed, and the only way to get in is to jump the wooden fence.

P1010033.JPG

P1010032.JPG

There were also several target sites at the rendezvous, what i found strange is that most of them didn't have any holes, and appeared to be quite new and in good condition, so my guess is that they are replacements of some old targets which existed here?

P1010035.JPG

Here is a plaque in stone with the name of one of the people who went to the rendezvous. There were several at the site, so i didn't take pictures of all of them.

Notice the iron pipe. There are 6 pipes just like that one jutting out of the ground. My guess is that these were pipes for old latrines which were taken out a long time ago, but i could be wrong.

P1010049.JPG

The one thing i found a bit strange was the following.

For some reason someone decided to put two stones in that tree trunk, and a third stone near it in the dirt. Nowhere around that site did i find stones like these.

Anyways, I am going back tomorrow to start MDing the site, starting with the area around the tree trunk, just in case. ;)

BTW, i looked for the 1929 rendezvous site, but it appears to be private property now, because the only thing i found were private homes. Again, i could be wrong. I will try again to look for this particular site tomorrow, or on Sunday.

The picture below is the other picnic site. This one was not fenced in, as you can see in the picture.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Attachments

• P1010045.JPG
    P1010045.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 298
OP
OP
LuisTH

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
BTW, i did find another rendezvous site also in between Lander and Riverton, although this one was fenced in, actually it has two separate fences and it is marked as a historical site, so no MDing whatsoever here. :-\

This site in particular was Fort Thompson or Camp Magraw.

P1010051.JPG

P1010052.JPG

P1010050.JPG

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Very Cool. I am glad that you are actually checking these out and shared so many pictures with us. keep them coming!!

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Great post! I felt like I was getting a personal guided tour of the sites.
Can't wait to see what else ya find.

OP
OP
LuisTH

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thanks Gypsy, i became aware of these sites thanks to you. ;)

BTW, I went back there today and checked the area around the tree trunk with my 18" excellerator coil and found nothing. My guess is that someone, maybe a kid, was playing with those stones.

BTW, i was right, the bottle caps, the pull taps, and other small metallic items can be found even under the soil in great quantities. I did also find some places where apparenlty someone was digging recently, so there might be at least one other THer who has been checking this site out.

CoinMiner

Greenie
Jul 16, 2007
Rockport, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic IDX, Garrett ACE 250
I have been through some of those sites you went to as I live in Cheyenne and was born in Riverton, they may still have the redezvous there from time to time. I know they have one near Lander every year.

I have been in Lander when they were having the Rendezvous but never thought to ask where it was being held. That should explain all the new pop tops and debris.

Mitch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread