1837 Hard Times Token plus a badge - military?

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to a few different sites with Hans R Dirty today and while the targets weren't jumping out at me I got a few goodies worth keeping. Also got my fair share of exercise!
1837 Hard Times Token, reads "I Follow in the steps of my illustrious predecessor" on one side and "Executive Experiment, 1837 Fiscal agent" on the other. Pretty neat find for me!
001.JPG
003.JPG
Also got this piece of badge that looks Victorian, and possibly military. There's a wreath and the letter K. Any ideas?
005.JPG
006.JPG
Also found a couple axe heads(the nice older one was broken) and other odds and ends. You can see some of the selection in Hans' post!
007.JPG

Upvote 0
leddel said:
CRUSADER said:
leddel said:
BuckleElf said:
Judging from the eyelet on the back of it, I'd say it is a cloak fastener or closure device. You might want to turn your research in that direction.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

i agree it looks like a cloak clasp from the eyelette most of the cap badges over here were held on by wired hooks
I could should you over 100 cap badges with this type of loop & some are Canadian.

that won't be necessary Crusader , just show the one in question is all :tongue3:
Reverse that, & you show us a cloak fastener like it? :tongue3:

(Looking at it again, I'm now pretty sure that last letter is not a 'K' but part of a larger pattern/letter group)

leddel said:
BuckleElf said:
Judging from the eyelet on the back of it, I'd say it is a cloak fastener or closure device. You might want to turn your research in that direction.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

i agree it looks like a cloak clasp from the eyelette most of the cap badges over here were held on by wired hooks
I'd post a picture of the wire hook from the back, if I could find it. Don't set your relics within reach of your cat! I'm sure I'll find the hook when I step on it. >.<

Well, when in doubt, cats always bat things under the nearest available object, which was my desk ;D There were two of these in the hole with the badge, along with two smaller pieces that had broken off, a small piece of wreath and a bit that doesn't seem to fit with what I have.
016.JPG
I'm definitely siding with Crusader and calling it a hat badge, as that was we thought when I dug it. If you'd like to think it's not, that's cool. Maybe we'll get back there at some point and find the rest!

Iron Patch said:
So who hasn't dug one of those! ;D
Now if I can only start digging some of the finds like you have in your display cases ;) Three of the coins I dug at that site were 1837, guess it puts a pretty clear date on the site! Another neat one to add to the collection, came out in decent shape too.

Hunthicks said:
Iron Patch said:
Now if I can only start digging some of the finds like you have in your display cases ;) Three of the coins I dug at that site were 1837, guess it puts a pretty clear date on the site! Another neat one to add to the collection, came out in decent shape too.

Maybe start taking the cat on your hunts.

The pin looks a little large, but is similar to the split pin they used to hold the Cap Badge on. Most of my better cap badges are displayed elsewhere & are hard to photo, but please see a similar wreath cap badge missing its centre piece, & also how the slip pin worked on another type (ignore the backplate as very few had this, most did not). Hope the picture helps, just takes time & effort to dig them out.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 661
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 651
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 653
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 664
Identical split pin, his is just bent and broken. We were pretty sure it was WWI era when he dug it.

Hans R Dirty said:
Identical split pin, his is just bent and broken. We were pretty sure it was WWI era when he dug it.
I would have guessed WWI give or take but without a full ID, it hard to judge the style, which can narrow it :icon_thumright: However, they did change to the single vertical clip in WWII, but I'm not clued up enough to know the timeframe of the change.

I also found the same Hard Times Token... :D

Attachments

• ht_4.jpg
    ht_4.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,033
  • ht_3.jpg
    ht_3.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 1,010
  • ht_3.jpg
    ht_3.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 1,011
  • ht_4.jpg
    ht_4.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,037
Iron Patch said:
Hunthicks said:
Iron Patch said:

Maybe start taking the cat on your hunts.
Lol, something tells me that wouldn't turn out so well. After the drive with constant meowing he'd dart under the nearest object big enough for him to hide under. Now if I could get a dog to dig my holes.... :laughing9:

It has to be a KOP badge! Surely so, and we beat it to death in 5 full pages. Sodabottlebob can verify this. He has read everything ever written of KOP. The "in house" expert, as it is.

Great Hard Times tokent there..
:icon_thumright:
sounds like you both had a great day out... probably done with the freeze starting but you never know...

The Patriot said:
Great Hard Times tokent there..
:icon_thumright:
sounds like you both had a great day out... probably done with the freeze starting but you never know...
With the look of it out there, looks like we're done till spring. Time for cabin fever to set in!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back