360 KB · Views: 1,134
  • IMG_2468.jpg
    IMG_2468.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 1,128
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Don in SJ said:
I would not be so quick to say that the for sure the half dime is a counterfeit. I have seen this happen on legit silver coins, and I have a half dime that is somewhat similar in appearance and I believe the damage happens because of the coin being so small and thin to begin with, that sometimes when ground conditions are rough, and evidently they were by evidenced of the bad condition of the other coins found, that the 10% copper that is in the half dime may have reacted with the soil and started to "leach out" (for lack of a better word).

I weighed my 1842 that has similar characteristics and it is within the tolerances of a legit half dime. I do suggest checking the rim, I believe it has been said before on this forum that counterfeiters had a hard time getting the reeded edge on their counterfeits, mine has a nice reeded edge.
Also, as stated earlier, the counterfeits shown before, have flaws in uneven dates, lettering, different wreath designs, etc, not sure I see any of that on the 1839. Also the 1861 example in the other post is stated by PCGS to be the first year known where that type was "struck", before that they must have been cast copies I reckon. :dontknow:

Don

Don, yours looks nothing like his except for the stars. Did you see his new updated pics? to the left of the word "united" did you see the gaping hole that shows copper underneath?

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it :icon_thumleft: way cool find!!!!!! MR TUFF

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

I want to talk about this coin but I don't want to be yelled at.... However it may look in the new picture and it sure dose look like rust but. I don't think you can tell if its outside corroding in (Chipping Plate) or if its surface oxidation peeling off silver. ( Heavy Tarnish ) Unless your the one holding and touching the coin.

So lets ask him, can you put your finger nail on the spot and feel if its corrosion underneath or what? Can you feel the edge of the silver plate or is it raised above the coin ?

I'd say use Electrolysis and if it is real it will come shinny new.... However !!! If it is a copper counterfeit then it will get destroyed ...!! You don't want that cause good counterfeits can be worth more than a normal coin... So I would not zap it unless your sure its real. He is right about the reed ed edge if it is not strait across then its a counterfeit. I'd check those things before calling it fake....? If it is a fake its a good one and good ones are rare and worth keeping !!

Another thing, the half dime was a hated coin. Small, lost easy and hard to use. People hated it, why would anyone counterfeit a hated coin that no one liked to get or use. They are also so small it would a very hard task to make a good copy. Likely not worth the labor, cause you can't mass produce them very easy. :icon_scratch: Counterfeits are hard to make good even more so back then. The detail on this half dime is to good to be fake. I still think its real....

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful textbook counterfeit!!! :icon_thumright:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, sure looks like a counterfeit. :icon_thumright:

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
lostlake,
Nice finds. I am ready to get out the machine.... I don't think that coin is counterfeit. I haven't ever seen the details so correct on a fake one. Hope I'm wrong, b/c much better if it is fake.
Jon

Kanyontreasures

Jan 13, 2010
idaho
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 3, whites bullseye ii
looks like a good find fake or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would take that any day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread