IMG_2468.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 1,127
Upvote 0

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Very nice finds!! Congrats on the Seated and nice pendant! V nickel is awesome too!

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
umrgolf2000 said:
Fistfulladirt said:
umrgolf2000 said:
halfdime looks counterfeit
I agree. Just as cool as the real thing! ffd

Looked again, def ctft.. but just as cool as real thing if not cooler :laughing7:

How can you tell? And what did they make them out of? When do you think it was counterfeited? Thanks.

U

umrgolf

lostlake88 said:
umrgolf2000 said:
Fistfulladirt said:
umrgolf2000 said:

Looked again, def ctft.. but just as cool as real thing if not cooler :laughing7:

How can you tell? And what did they make them out of? When do you think it was counterfeited? Thanks.

You can tell by the first pic after cleaning.. it looks like the silver is flaking off and that's because it is.. made of copper with silver wash. Its a period counterfeit. did you ever find your piece of gold?

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
umrgolf2000 said:
lostlake88 said:
umrgolf2000 said:
Fistfulladirt said:
umrgolf2000 said:

You can tell by the first pic after cleaning.. it looks like the silver is flaking off and that's because it is.. made of copper with silver wash. Its a period counterfeit. did you ever find your piece of gold?
I am sorry to say I have not found that little pendent yet, but that doesn't mean it won't turn up. I found my lost wedding ring 4 years after loosing it. Found it the couch. lol

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

Ok.... :icon_scratch:

I'm sure I'll get in trouble for this or yelled at but. ??? Before we think its a counterfit, take good close look at it. :read2: Is the tarnish on the surface or is it chipping off. :dontknow: 2nd look at the detail of the coin, how well its made. :dontknow: This coin looks like a perfect seated lady to me. Very hard to counterfeit this well, most counterfeits if you look close you can see clear flaws. :headbang: I think it's a very real coin... Can we see the back ? I think its just normal Oxidation my halftime had the same thing it cleaned off with basic electrolysis. :hello2:

Great find, counterfeit or not..... :o Infact if it is a fake (and its not) it could be worth more... :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Here are some better pics. I have never found a counterfeit before if this is what it is. I does look to be oxidizing a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 957
  • IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 946

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
It is a beautiful counterfiet half dime I'd love to find!

Joe

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Wow, nice digs. Criminals even back then....Ha....but cheap criminals :tongue3: jgas

AmadorAl

Greenie
Mar 15, 2007
Nice looking half dime and pendant.

Speaking of "cheap criminals", I opened a roll of dimes a while back and ran across a penny that had been hand filed down to the size of a dime. Someone sure went to a lot of work to get both the diameter and thickness right just to make a 9 cents profit.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found a counterfeit(would love too)but I have dug many silvers,and have never seen one that flaked like that one....silver doesnt flake.Way cool!!! :thumbsup:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I would covet this counterfeit more than an original. I found a couple of counterfeit (American ) coins and think they are some of my favorite finds. One is an 1803 Draped Bust silver dollar. Be proud of it. Don't regret it for one second. :thumbsup:
Chris

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
I would covet this counterfeit more than an original. I found a couple of counterfeit (American ) coins and think they are some of my favorite finds. One is an 1803 Draped Bust silver dollar. Be proud of it. Don't regret it for one second. :thumbsup:
Chris
I agree!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not be so quick to say that the for sure the half dime is a counterfeit. I have seen this happen on legit silver coins, and I have a half dime that is somewhat similar in appearance and I believe the damage happens because of the coin being so small and thin to begin with, that sometimes when ground conditions are rough, and evidently they were by evidenced of the bad condition of the other coins found, that the 10% copper that is in the half dime may have reacted with the soil and started to "leach out" (for lack of a better word).

I weighed my 1842 that has similar characteristics and it is within the tolerances of a legit half dime. I do suggest checking the rim, I believe it has been said before on this forum that counterfeiters had a hard time getting the reeded edge on their counterfeits, mine has a nice reeded edge.
Also, as stated earlier, the counterfeits shown before, have flaws in uneven dates, lettering, different wreath designs, etc, not sure I see any of that on the 1839. Also the 1861 example in the other post is stated by PCGS to be the first year known where that type was "struck", before that they must have been cast copies I reckon. :dontknow:

Don

Attachments

• 1842HalfDime.jpg
    1842HalfDime.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 600
  • 1842half dimeobvtophalf.jpg
    1842half dimeobvtophalf.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 596

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread