Don in SJ
Silver Member
- Joined
- May 20, 2005
- Messages
- 4,938
- Reaction score
- 859
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Detector(s) used
- MINELAB SE Pro
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
- #81
Thread Owner
Re: 1840-1860 era Antique Photo Portrait- UPDATED- 2 March
Yes, that is why I will be trying it.
Don
lostcauses said:Note: that use of Ammonia and water (Ammonium hydroxide) can remove the silver oxides. Will be interesting to see how this comes out.
Yes, that is why I will be trying it.

Don
I submerged the photo into Ammonia and Water mixture, I was greatly concerned about whether the copper chloride would adhere to the portrait as it was dissolved by the mixture, At first there was a problem, I was a bit cautious intially only submerged about 1/4" of it in the solution. Well, after a few hours of doing it and rotating the sides into the solution, I noticed the solution "wicked up" into the portrait area, and left a blue scum line!! 
Nope
![hammertime[1].gif hammertime[1].gif](https://www.treasurenet.com/data/attachments/131/131237-778ffc2dc7fca1e1d639489b8c6f7de0.jpg?hash=d4_8Lcf8oe)







