What's new

1842 Half Penny & Scalloped Horse Buckle!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2010
Messages
13,022
Reaction score
28,184
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I got back to the ‘badge field’ yesterday in the hopes that after being away for 6 days that it had been turned for planting. Wrong… it looked the same as it did when I last saw it! I thought well I’m here; I don’t want to go home, because that’s where my wife is, so I might as well detect it! :tongue3:

My first find of interest was the 1842 Canada Half Penny, followed by the scalloped brass horse buckle. I also found a beautiful blacksmith-made iron latch hook and three more IC loops!
I pictured a close up of the loops to show you that these three are all different in their design. :thumbsup:

Having found close to 100 IC loops at this site I’ve noticed that there are at least three different styles of construction and possibly more. :icon_scratch:

Thanks for looking and best of luck to all,
Dave
 

Attachments

  • SDC10717.webp
    SDC10717.webp
    80.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 20150510_085154_resized.webp
    20150510_085154_resized.webp
    65 KB · Views: 148
  • 20150510_085208_resized.webp
    20150510_085208_resized.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 20150510_105200_resized.webp
    20150510_105200_resized.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 20150510_090534_resized.webp
    20150510_090534_resized.webp
    119.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 20150510_171006_resized.webp
    20150510_171006_resized.webp
    55.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 20150510_191148_resized.webp
    20150510_191148_resized.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 20150510_191438_resized-crop.webp
    20150510_191438_resized-crop.webp
    51.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 20150510_191513_resized-crop.webp
    20150510_191513_resized-crop.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20150510_191348_resized.webp
    20150510_191348_resized.webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 20150510_191705_resized-crop.webp
    20150510_191705_resized-crop.webp
    41 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 32

I thought well I’m here; I don’t want to go home, because that’s where my wife is, so I might as well detect it! :tongue3:

Dave

Haha you crack me up!

Looks like it was worth staying too, that's a cool buckle!
 
Oh my, Dave! What a typo! I am certain you meant to type " It was a very hard decision made to NOT go home where the loving wife was "...lol.
Great finds. I really like the buckle probably best of all. What is the twisted hook piece? Is it forged?
 
Really like that buckle bud but that latch hook is so cool
 
Blacksmith made latch hook and nice buckle,vanzutphen
 
awesome finds dave!, I really like the blacksmith item, it preserved well in the dirt!,

cool hunt!
 
Nice hunt Dave, that site keeps giving up the goodies. I like the iron latch!
 
Time well spent in the field Dave, the bank token is crisper than what I envisioned it would be, a soaking in HP might clean up the detail a bit more. I find it's sort of fun trying to find out the variety of the 1842 token between the 3 different sizes of trees, and the long or short nose beaver, no real difference in the value though.
Almost a 100 IC loops! I guess the thrill of digging up them up is waining some what, now which type is scarcer of the three?
Liking the buckle and the latch hook is really a nice iron find, yes it pays off sometimes digging up the iron. :)
What's the long loop hook?

BTW I had to read the first line twice. :laughing7:
 
Nice digs. I like the latch the best, don't find that everyday.
 
Very nice. The buckle is really nice. Congrats.
 
All of them are cool finds !!! :thumbsup:
 
Thank you for sharing your story and those pictures with us . Love the buckle
 
Haha you crack me up!

Looks like it was worth staying too, that's a cool buckle!

Thanks for your post J! :thumbsup:
The buckle came from a top section of the field that I haven't spent a lot of time on.
Dave


Oh my, Dave! What a typo! I am certain you meant to type " It was a very hard decision made to NOT go home where the loving wife was "...lol.
Great finds. I really like the buckle probably best of all. What is the twisted hook piece? Is it forged?

No Dave, that's what I meant to say! :laughing7:
Don't get me wrong, I love my wife but sometimes I just need to dig a couple a hundred holes in a field to get my frustrations out! :laughing9:
Dave



Really like that buckle bud but that latch hook is so cool

Thanks Abe! :thumbsup:
I'm going to tumble and preserve it for use later somewhere in our house.
Dave

PS. I'll be in Bangor sometime in late June for a company sales meeting. The second week in June I'll be in Wisconsin to train some of our dealer reps.


Blacksmith made latch hook and nice buckle,vanzutphen

Thank you Sir! :icon_salut:


awesome finds dave!, I really like the blacksmith item, it preserved well in the dirt!,

cool hunt!

Thanks for your post Chris!
Yeah it always amazes me how well the old forged iron like this piece holds up! :thumbsup:
Best of luck to you and Dave! :occasion14:



Nice hunt Dave, that site keeps giving up the goodies. I like the iron latch!

I just hope the field gets turned this year, otherwise this is pretty much it at this site until next year. :dontknow:
Best of luck to you buddy,
Dave


Time well spent in the field Dave, the bank token is crisper than what I envisioned it would be, a soaking in HP might clean up the detail a bit more. I find it's sort of fun trying to find out the variety of the 1842 token between the 3 different sizes of trees, and the long or short nose beaver, no real difference in the value though.
Almost a 100 IC loops! I guess the thrill of digging up them up is waining some what, now which type is scarcer of the three?
Liking the buckle and the latch hook is really a nice iron find, yes it pays off sometimes digging up the iron. :)
What's the long loop hook?

BTW I had to read the first line twice. :laughing7:
When I read your first line here Jim, I thought, "now why would I want to soak the coin in HP Sauce"! :laughing9:
I never get tired of digging these loops as they always ring in at 87 - 89 and it's much better than digging aluminum bits!

The 'long loop hook', would've originally had a spring release on it to be used on the horse harness rig.

Talk to you on Monday,
Dave


Nice digs. I like the latch the best, don't find that everyday.

The latch is likely my favourite find too... blacksmiths back in the olden days worked magic with iron! :thumbsup:
Dave



Very nice. The buckle is really nice. Congrats.

Thanks Tom, I found another one like it here, but it was broken in half. :dontknow:
Dave


All of them are cool finds !!! :thumbsup:

Thanks very much! :icon_thumright:


Thank you for sharing your story and those pictures with us . Love the buckle

Thank you for taking the time to post! :thumbsup:
Dave
 
Nice finds! Congrats!
 
Love all horse tack, its not easy to find out here, so when found its a good hunt ! :occasion14:
 
Love all horse tack, its not easy to find out here, so when found its a good hunt! :occasion14:

I too love finding horse related hardware, especially when it's an ornate design and not just a plain old brass buckle! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your post,
Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom