1844 Silver Seated Quarter found today.....on a brief hunt with my Whites MX5

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to the very small park in SW Georgia where I found a 1945 mercury dime last week. Just found a few minutes ago and took pictures as they came out of the ground. It was only 5 inches deep. So will use only some water to clean the 1844. My first seated coin this year......I hope it is a good sign for the rest of 2015.....Thanks for looking.

001.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

HH
Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 25

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beauty, check out the #1 in the date, it looks off set---could be just optical illusion----cool

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's much detail left on that one...full Liberty! That " 1 " does look odd.

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find.

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a beauty, check out the #1 in the date, it looks off set---could be just optical illusion----cool

Thanks for your comment, Tom.....after its bath and getting rid of the dirt....does the "1" in the date look better?

017.JPG 018.JPG

P.S. The convex dimples on the wing and above the head are typical for this date, which are from dirty dies and/or metal stress during the minting process. Just looked on PCGS on an 1844 MS65 and it shows these dimples in the same area of the wings although much smaller.....Quality control was not as important back then, or even possible.....guess it gives it character.....Thanks for looking

HH
Bill

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The seated looks beautiful, especially next to the Delaware, and other clad.:occasion14:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks better clean up, just my eyesight i guess---hh

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the seated quarter, looks to have a lot of detail. Found my first one after 43yrs. last week. Hope it didn't take you as long.

Hi Mike.....thanks for your comment.....I have found several, but the ones I remember the best is the Seated Quarter, I found out of my own yard in 1980, and the one I found in my mothers yard in the 1970's......both while living in Knox County, Illinois, born and raised there until we moved to Florida in 1988......I guess we are both on a roll....let's keep it up for 2015:occasion14:

HH
Bill

Last edited:

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you clean your coin if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did you clean your coin if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Jamey......First I looked in my coin book to be sure it was not a rare date, or extreme high grade/condition......then upon inspection, I saw a lot of old smaller scratches, nicks, etc.....and decided upon more than a water wash. I used a very soft toothbrush with a small amount of hand soap to clean all of the dirt off. Then I did use a very small amount, a pinch, of baking soda, and rubbed very gently to remove some stains left after the water wash, and then rinsed in clear water again. I like the results on most coins......However ONLY clean if you wish, the more common coins. But doing ANY cleaning of a rare or high grade coin WILL lower the value of it by a bunch....so be careful.....Hope this helps. I owned and ran my own coin store for 10 years, so I speak from experience on cleaning.

HH
Bill

Last edited:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks wlb42! Bet you seen some pretty cool coins in those 10 years!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is simply AMAZING! I wish my local park held treasure like that. You show a half dozen modern clads and the Seated, what a contrast of finds! Big Seated Silver Congrats!

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is simply AMAZING! I wish my local park held treasure like that. You show a half dozen modern clads and the Seated, what a contrast of finds! Big Seated Silver Congrats!

As I reported on your post...... that 1852 3-cent Silver is a Nice find, too.....I have found several 3-cent nickels over the years but that one has escaped me.....still on my bucket list. The park that I found my 1844 seated quarter was settled in the 1830's, and the very small park, tot-lot that is there now on a corner lot, used to have a large house built in the 1850's that was demolished many years ago, and have been finding a lot of very old brass door parts, etc. in this park. So still may be more older silver there. I WILL be back.....Thanks for your posting.

HH
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions