SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Evening Tnet . I don't post often as I don't get out much nowadays due to heavy workload and 2nd kid now almost 10 months old but on Friday I was able to carve out a few hours to get out. Decided to go to an area that I've been going to for years that has turned up some neat relics but nothing earth shattering but knowing that it dates to the late 1600 I always have hope that sooner or later something good would come up. Friday was that day and it's the 1 thing that I wanted to find since I started detecting. Working the some thick under brush and barely being able to stand I was having no luck other than iron signals when I got a peak 77 then 65 mixed with some iron grunting on the AT Pro. Decided to dig it since it was only the 2nd signal in an hour that had any potential I opened up the ground and swung over and still the same so got out the pin pointer. pulled a few nails out and figured it was a bust but swung over it and clear as a bell 77 and stayed consistent. so went back into the hole with the pin and the target was under a small root at 6 to 8 inches. I managed to work the sandy soil under it and felt something and out comes a small square piece of metal about 2 inches by 2 inches. I took a deep breathe and thought...No way is this what I think it is. At first I could not see anything on it so pulled out a tooth brush and after just a few wipes the dirt fell out of the hole on the top and I made out the word "Porter" and on the bottom it says 1850. I stopped right then and packed up and went home. So far all I did was tooth brush it and use a tooth pick to clean out the number on the tag - #606. According to some research these are super rare. I'm having it evaluated this week by a local expert. I'll update once I hear back and the plan at this point is to get a professional to preserve it. Thanks for reading and HH. 1850_Slave_Tag.JPG

Upvote 92

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer find. Congrats on a really sweet piece of Southern history.

They made 1000 per year, correct?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG what a find! That is banner all day long in my book. These are so rare. You may be inclined to loan or donate it to the charlston museum. I am sure they don't have many. Well well done

stealthycat

Feb 17, 2012
Arkansas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pros
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can only wonder what the penalty was to lose that ..... slaves had to wear them right ?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Awesome find. Congrats.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a crazy piece of history!!

Great recovery!!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a historically heavy find... one has to ponder what the original wearer went through. Pretty amazing that there may have been only 1000. Perhaps you could link that tag to an actual person and find out their history! Who knows they may have descendants who are alive today.

I may be wrong, but "Porter" was the wearers name, not the job he had. A slave had one name, assigned but the owner, no last name until the fall of slavery. Not many detailed account books remain, but some do. You may get lucky and pin this down. One heck of a find. Banner.

Edit: I am wrong, a few searches indicate that was his "occupation."

Last edited:

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible & rare piece of history!! Congrats on the find!!!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Porter was his occupation. and the penalty for losing it was more than likely based on how cruel the master was. From what I know, you had to buy these like a tax stamp. A lost tag cost the owner money. I shudder to think. In my mind this was found by the river bank so this is what happened. Civil war ended and all slaves were freed. Mr Porter took his tag and chucked it into the river. Good riddance

OP
OP
S

SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're spot on trdking. Each year this tag had to be replaced with a new one and there was a tax on each one that the slave owners had to pay. In turn the slave would pay the slave owner for the privilege to work and earn money to pay for their freedom or to buy things they needed. I will be meeting with someone from the Charleston museum later in the week to authenticate the find and see what to do next. My wife is a South Carolina history teacher and this really hit home for her since she's from here. She's rarely interested in what I find but since finding it she's been researching like crazy. Good to share this with her and the TNET family.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCJohn, Thanks for sharing this find with us. I think we all look forward to reading your updates. I also think you are going about this exactly right. I would be totally shocked if it was not authentic. The fakes look too nice - and why would anyone age one artifically and plant it? This one looks like it has been waiting in the ground all these years for you to rescue it. After this, your wife might now need a metal detector of her own for Christmas...hint, hint.

OP
OP
S

SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Funny you say that. She was just looking at a new one for me. Had the AT pro for roughly 4 years and has done great but she thinks i need to upgrade. Not gonna argue. Gave her some options so we'll see. My 5 year old said she'll take the "old" one. :laughing7:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it will be a very happy Christmas in your household!

We are loving life after the birth of our first grandchild, a boy, this summer. So glad we stayed in the area after retirement to enjoy this treasure!

Last edited:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A great historical find,banner for sure! Congratulations!

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I'd rather find that than a gold coin...IMO...:thumbsup:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you say that. She was just looking at a new one for me. Had the AT pro for roughly 4 years and has done great but she thinks i need to upgrade. Not gonna argue. Gave her some options so we'll see. My 5 year old said she'll take the "old" one. :laughing7:

LOL - Smart little girl!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread