SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Evening Tnet . I don't post often as I don't get out much nowadays due to heavy workload and 2nd kid now almost 10 months old but on Friday I was able to carve out a few hours to get out. Decided to go to an area that I've been going to for years that has turned up some neat relics but nothing earth shattering but knowing that it dates to the late 1600 I always have hope that sooner or later something good would come up. Friday was that day and it's the 1 thing that I wanted to find since I started detecting. Working the some thick under brush and barely being able to stand I was having no luck other than iron signals when I got a peak 77 then 65 mixed with some iron grunting on the AT Pro. Decided to dig it since it was only the 2nd signal in an hour that had any potential I opened up the ground and swung over and still the same so got out the pin pointer. pulled a few nails out and figured it was a bust but swung over it and clear as a bell 77 and stayed consistent. so went back into the hole with the pin and the target was under a small root at 6 to 8 inches. I managed to work the sandy soil under it and felt something and out comes a small square piece of metal about 2 inches by 2 inches. I took a deep breathe and thought...No way is this what I think it is. At first I could not see anything on it so pulled out a tooth brush and after just a few wipes the dirt fell out of the hole on the top and I made out the word "Porter" and on the bottom it says 1850. I stopped right then and packed up and went home. So far all I did was tooth brush it and use a tooth pick to clean out the number on the tag - #606. According to some research these are super rare. I'm having it evaluated this week by a local expert. I'll update once I hear back and the plan at this point is to get a professional to preserve it. Thanks for reading and HH. 1850_Slave_Tag.JPG

Upvote 92

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The one person on here was right in saying they issued these every year. So yours says 606, that means at least 606 were issued of the "Porter" tag during that particular year and every year they were re-issued. Some are much more rare than others, such as "Carpenter" and "Porter" happens to be the most common occupation. My big question is, with so many issued, what happened to them all? I want to find one, but my chances are practically zero since I'm nowhere near Charleston.

Last edited:

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the find- Banner for sure

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Huge congrats! That's an awesome find! Banner vote in.

OP
OP
S

SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UPDATE * - I was able to get confirmation from someone at the Charleston Museum that the tag is authentic and closely matches one they have in their collection. They have provided information on a local conservator that has experience on preserving items like this and I will be contacting them on Thursday. All good news. Thanks to everyone who has commented,liked and given a banner vote.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just voted banner. Great find - glad to see your taking all the necessary steps at authenticating, researching, and especially conservation.

I read through this entire thread and liked all the thoughtful replies. I can relate to sudden interest by a spouse in those great finds that turn up just when you least expect it. I can always tell when I have an exciting find - I call it the "two question find." My wife will look at what I brought home and ask just two questions -"How much is it worth and when are we selling it?" :laughing9:

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find bud!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most metal detecting finds are interesting to read about. This one truly moves me. Thank you for sharing and thanks to the many contributors to this thread.

OP
OP
S

SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find bud!

Thanks Greg..I remember when you found yours and I thought " Man..If I could ever find one of those it would make my year" and this made my year.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic piece of history. Congratulations on the recovery.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find. Banner vote from me. Congratulations!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An estimated 1,000 tags made.
I have always considered a gold coin an automatic Banner Vote.
Well "Slave Tags" are harder to find than Gold Coins.
I'm going Banner.
Congratulations

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find :coffee2:

Can you take a Few Better Pictures of it ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread