What's new

1851 Braided Hair Large Cent

bedpanmoneyman

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2007
Messages
561
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
On my way back from a golf tournament yesterday, I took the back roads returning home and passed an old abandoned school house less than 4 miles from my home. Making a mental note to check it out the next day, I ventured out today on a very hot & humid late morning. I couldn't find any history about this old school house, but it did show on maps dating back to the mid-1800s. I explored the back (east) of the school first, a bean field was planted to within 25 feet of the back of the school. The area was somewhat trashy and I kept working my way around to the north side. I finally went to the south side of the school and finally got a reasonable tone (a VDI of 88 at 4 inches deep). The ground was softer here and not as much gravel. As I dug, I happened to see a green sphere in thebottom of the hole and reached down to pull out the coin. I turned it over and immediately recognized part of the wreath and knew I'd found a large cent....my second LC find ever. I found my first large cent (1829) last December. It was the only coin I found today, but I'll make a return visit soon. Once I got home, I was able to determine its date was 1851. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • 100_9957.webp
    100_9957.webp
    57.9 KB · Views: 548
  • Photo015.webp
    Photo015.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 549
  • 100_9954.webp
    100_9954.webp
    44.3 KB · Views: 540
  • Photo013.webp
    Photo013.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 564
  • 100_9957.webp
    100_9957.webp
    57.9 KB · Views: 556
  • 100_9957.webp
    100_9957.webp
    57.9 KB · Views: 548
  • 100_9956.webp
    100_9956.webp
    63.7 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0
Nice LC!! There should be some Indian Heads there,maybe even a Flying Eagle cent. Good luck on your return,
Jerry
 
Nice large copper. Gotta like that. :thumbsup:
 
Congrats on the LC.

I only have found one here in Utah as they are very few and far between here in the desert.

That place looks like a great place to hunt.

Thanks for sharing
 
Excellent find! I love digging LC's. Find some more. Have you hit it with the peroxide bath yet? CONGRATS Hogge :thumbsup:
 
great finds and an excellent place to hunt bedpanmoneyman :thumbsup: get back there soon as you can , it got very hot and humid here fast today so i decided to stay in and rest :'( maybe an early sunday morn hunt is in order ! goodluck on your return to that great site ;D
 
Awesome find on the large copper!!
 
hey congrats man..... I needa start hunting with you and Terry(soreknees) I havent had any decent places to hunt for a while now..... man I need some cool old spots....
 
Nice find! As soon as they pick the beans, I would be back hunting farther out!
Good Luck! Dale
 
That is one super excellent find, it surely woulda made my year.. I can't wait to hear what other goodies you get outta there.. big time congrats to you. :thumbsup:
 
Ia.FurTrade said:
Nice find! As soon as they pick the beans, I would be back hunting farther out!
Good Luck! Dale
You can count on that. First thing I thought of while I was hunting the site.
I also found the property records of this site. The school was built in 1803!!!
 
Awesome, $$man!! Thanks for the site pictures. They really add to any story. :icon_sunny:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom