1852 Silver Trime

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first one of these and I was surprised at how small they are! I have seen photos of them but never size relational ones so at first I though this was a cuff button. Gave a solid 18 on my Nox 800, three inches deep in a forest floor, while walking and swinging at a pretty good clip. It's so enjoyable to make a new discovery then research the piece. It's actually in good shape though I wish I could clean off the dirt clinging to it.

I'm going on my third year with this detector and have to admit I'm fully confident in the machine. I have found so much with it using the factory settings. With several hundreds of hours of use I know how the machine responds to different targets. Last year the ears broke on my coil but the warranty replacement was fast and easy.

Attachments

• tres271.jpg
    tres271.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 95
  • tres272.jpg
    tres272.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 40

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's just dirt you'd like to remove, soak it in some hot soapy water for an hour or so. Then use a soft bristled toothbrush to gently remove the dirt.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first one of these and I was surprised at how small they are! I have seen photos of them but never size relational ones so at first I though this was a cuff button. Gave a solid 18 on my Nox 800, three inches deep in a forest floor, while walking and swinging at a pretty good clip. It's so enjoyable to make a new discovery then research the piece. It's actually in good shape though I wish I could clean off the dirt clinging to it.

I'm going on my third year with this detector and have to admit I'm fully confident in the machine. I have found so much with it using the factory settings. With several hundreds of hours of use I know how the machine responds to different targets. Last year the ears broke on my coil but the warranty replacement was fast and easy.
Sweet!!! Congrats!!!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice looking Trime. :thumbsup:
I found one last year here in Ontario, but yours is in much better shape.
Dave

Attachments

• 20210531_145648.jpg
    20210531_145648.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210531_145547.jpg
    20210531_145547.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 27

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Those 18's are almost always shotgun shells. I've dug some nice targets in that range in well hunted sites because people tend to ignore them!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver, it's in really nice condition.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. I found one about a month or so ago. They are the smallest silver coin ever minted by the U.S.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. It did clean up nicely with hot soapy water and a toothbrush. I like how these are atypical in size and design. Interesting how the silver composition was lowered to 75% so that production cost didn't exceed value.

It's true what you said West Jersey Detecting. Old shotgun shell brass bases really slow me down since my hunting grounds are around wetlands where people have been hunting waterfowl and deer since the late 1600's. Unlike the old nails which bounce target numbers around 15 - 19 between swings, those brass bases minus their original paper cartridge ring stable and give a nice high pitch in the same number range. You can often guess high brass base vs. low profile before digging. (I have found three all brass casing early Winchester 12 gauge). I have dug so many of these signals but have left many so no doubt good targets have been passed up. Being a relic hunter too, the bigger nails will trick me when they give signals in the low 20's. I tend to dig most signals even though I pretty much can bet what they are. I find a lot of .75 and .69 cal balls and the machine likes these. I thought this trime was a .75 ball.

I have a pretty large forested area to pick over, over 3 sq. miles. I feel as though I have gone over parts many times and picked the obvious. I will venture over less travelled spots and not find a trace for days. Then I go back to the areas I have worked over many times before, but at different directions with a much slower pace. I'm analyzing my signals more closely, and sure enough am able to slowly squeeze more coins out going back to KGII.

Attachments

• tres273.jpg
    tres273.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 24
  • tres274.jpg
    tres274.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 22

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

such a great save, love that silver. glad you are loving your nox

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here Mike. I found my only Trime in August of 1983.
It was about 8" deep & was just a whisper on my old Whites 6000D.
It took me for ever to find it in the plug once I dug it out. So thin I think it would float in the water.
Congrats on a great find "Eastender" !!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Trime. My Equinox 800 also gets credit for finding my first one (also an 1852) just last Fall, after over 30 years of detecting. They are a tough little bugger to find.

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

These are hard to find! I feel that it's due to the size ! Such a small piece of silver. Congratulations on your first three center!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. I know a lot of people say how hard they are to find but in my experience I often find one on sites that are loaded with coins of that period

Last edited:

JeffDowns

Jan 8, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find. Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread