1857 Flying Eagle and LC within first 15 minutes of digging!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't tell you how great I feel right now. The house I was detecting (same one I've been posting about recently) is from the 1870s and in the previous two hunts I got a gold earring, silver quarter, old cash coin, 20s coin spill among other things so it's been quite productive. At the beginning of the day I got a pull tab or two and my very next target was a largie! It was super spotty and jumped from 70s to like 91 and everything in between. I was excited after that and kept digging, I pulled a few more ptabs and modern junk and then what I thought at first was a wheaty. Then after a little bit of rubbing I saw a wreath, and thought it's an Indian. Sweet! Then I turned it over and I didn't see an Indian, I didn't realize what I had a first but as soon as I did I pretty much freaked out. I never thought I would actually dig one of these! It pretty much overshadows everything else I've dug here! I attached photos of the two coins individually and the best finds of my past three hunts.
IMG_3128.JPG IMG_3127.JPG IMG_3129.JPG IMG_3131.JPG
Also, look before you sit down on the ground. There may or may not be an anthill full of vicious little creatures seeking to devour your legs there, something I found out the hard way... multiple times.

Upvote 25

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible I'm still looking for a flying eagle and it's my #1 want... Great finds

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
OhhhhhhYeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... NICE! Thanks for sharing and GL next time out as that is what is so fun about the hobby. You just never know.

HH ALL!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing with us!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible I'm still looking for a flying eagle and it's my #1 want... Great finds
Thanks! It looks like you found one of the things near the top of my list today!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OhhhhhhYeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... NICE! Thanks for sharing and GL next time out as that is what is so fun about the hobby. You just never know.

HH ALL!
Hey thanks! You're totally right, I had no idea what I was going to find today... I was hoping for anything silver and expecting some wheats (and an IH if I'm lucky)

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been looking for those for years you got em in 15 minutes thats freaking awesome keep rippin into that yard then the neighbors lol Great job

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s awesome! I experienced the same confusion when I found one last year. I thought I found a fatty Indian (which I still haven’t found) and was confused when I saw a bird. Thrilling to find a limited production flying eagle. I bet you are still soaring. Enjoy the high!

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive been looking for those for years you got em in 15 minutes thats freaking awesome keep rippin into that yard then the neighbors lol Great job
The neighbor is actually a kiddie baseball diamond and that sort of thing so I will certainly do that! Hope you find one yourself soon!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s awesome! I experienced the same confusion when I found one last year. I thought I found a fatty Indian (which I still haven’t found) and was confused when I saw a bird. Thrilling to find a limited production flying eagle. I bet you are still soaring. Enjoy the high!
Sweet! Yeah, I still have to look at it occasionally and check on it. lol. Speaking of fatty Indians... I found two 1864's and some more from 1860s and later but still no fatties.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have entered the holy grail of metal detecting, digging up a flying eagle...Congrats and thanks for sharing !

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"In the first 15 minutes" Your detector must have been raring to go! Nice find. How you doing it in all this heat??

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"In the first 15 minutes" Your detector must have been raring to go! Nice find. How you doing it in all this heat??
Thanks! The heat stinks! My hunts have only been around 1 1/2 to 3 hours long each. Gotta love it when the sweat is dripping down your nose while you are digging. I can't wait for autumn and winter to come so it'll cool down and I can do some field hunting. One of these days there's going to be a spanish silver in one of them holes...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread