1860 Abraham Lincoln Presidential Campaign Medal & More!!!

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Well, have gotten out a few times lately, but only for an hour or so at a time. My sister came home to visit for 5 days around Easter so no beepin then.

Anyway, I have made some pretty awesome finds lately...especially considering the short amount of time I've had to hunt. I realize its probably not as cool as some of the finds some of you make...but let me tell you...some of these really got the blood flowing!

First, headed out on April 4th back to that Old Field where I have made some nice finds this year...Indianhead Penny, 1859 Canadian Large Cent, 1866 Shield Nickel, 1841 Hard Times Token, 1903 V Nickel. Other than the V-Nickel and the Indianhead...the other 3 were first for me.

So anyway, head back out there on the 4th. Went into the trashy area...set my sensitivity way low...down to 10 on the Explorer. I just wanted to try to limit the BIG...DEEP Metal. I was determined to dig anything that moved.

Haha...first hit was a really low low reading...12/01 or 11/01...pretty solid. Dug down about 4" and out popped this little disc. I was like...that looks like a coin, but its the purplish color of an old nickel...hmm.

HOLY CRAP!!!! It was a III Cent Nickel...1865.

Man, I sure did'nt think the day was going to get any better.

After a few more digs of junk...I headed over to the end that I really haven't worked yet.

1st dig was only an inch or two deep. Turned out to be an 1860 Presidential Campaign Medal Ferrotype. Says "Abraham Lincoln 1860" on one side..."Hannibal Hamlin 1860" on the other. Hamlin was the VP during Lincoln's 1st term. The hole in it is original...it was designed that way.

Also, there were tin pictures of each of the men on each side. These were not on the medal...but it gives me a goal to try to find them in the future...Good Luck.

Got one more DEEP SILVER reading. Never had a DEEP silver reading in this bean field yet. Anyway...perfect 00-28 reading on the Explorer.

Dug down about 8" and the probe was a screaming!!! Still reading 00-28. I paused...Keep in mind...other than the 1903 V-Nickel I found a few weeks prior to this...the NEWEST coin I had found was 1866. All had ranged from 1841-1866.

So anyway, I thought...Seated Half...no wait..."BUST HALF DOLLAR."

We can all HOPE right???

I was 99% certain this was a big silver coin right up until the moment I saw a LARGE copper coin pop out.

CRAP!!!

Well wait...what's this??? 1851 Large Cent...My first Large Cent so everything turned out to be just peachy.

That was a nice way to end the day.

Went back a week later and found 1 coin type thing...its pictured with another Large Cent for size comparison. This sucker was only about 5" Deep....obviously larger than a Large Cent.

Very worn and extremely thin. I can make out NOTHING on one side. Only a few letters in the Middle of the coin/token.

Says "STIR MARTIN MONROE'S"

Im wondering if the "STIR" is the end of "MISTER" but missing the "MI"

So anyway, got out Sunday for about an hour in a brand new area...Scored 2 Coins...both good finds.

1st was an 1843 Large Cent (My 2nd Large Cent)...and only about 10 days later. Crazy how good finds can bunch up like that. This is my 9th year of metal detecting...never found a Large Cent...then score 2 in 10 days. Crazy.

The other good find was a pretty decent looking 1860 Indianhead. Yeoman's Red Book doesn't show a small date variety...but this coin has a MUCH MUCH smaller date than any Indianhead that I've found thus far.

Got out for an hour the night before this new spot and scored on an unreadable Wheat Penny and a 1907 Indianhead Penny.

Anyway...here are some pics...

Happy Hunting,

Deerhunter24

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that medal is a rare find indeed for MI. And I've only found ONE large cent.
(your pictures are broked)

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Haven't posted them yet...still trying to figure out new site

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Here is the 1851 Large Cent Front & Back.

1865 3-Cent Nickel

1860 Abraham Lincoln Presidential Campaign Medal

Attachments

• 1851 LCF.jpg
    1851 LCF.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 1851 LCB.jpg
    1851 LCB.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 1865 III Center.jpg
    1865 III Center.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Lincoln Front.jpg
    Lincoln Front.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Hamlin Back.jpg
    Hamlin Back.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 148
OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Here are the other pics.

The weird coin thing is the "STIR MARTIN MONROE'S"

Any info on that would be greatly appreciated. I know there isnt much to go on.

Attachments

• 1843 Large Cent.jpg
    1843 Large Cent.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Stir Martin Monroe.jpg
    Stir Martin Monroe.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 363
  • 1860 Injun.jpg
    1860 Injun.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 209

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Congrats!

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say your on a role, them are some nice fines, hope it keeps going. Good Hunting!!!

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOWZA! :icon_thumright: Man those are some awesome digs! "I realize its probably not as cool as some of the finds some of you make" who the heck you talking to... :laughing7: what a killer haul with that 3 center and 2 largies! dang..a 3 cent coin is at the top of my wish list... WTG! Have you researched that medal at all?....might be worth some moola Congrats on some great finds!

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! WTG! A friend of mine found one and for display he put a pic of Lincoln in it. Very cool find!

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the replies.

Griff...just seems like a lot of people are making some pretty awesome finds quite frequently.

Thrilled that I've finally stumbled upon my own honeyhole...lucky to have found a nice untouched resource...just a field that's been barren of any structure for the past 80-100 years.

Yeah the 2 guys I normally hunt with have made some pretty awesome finds in their 30 years of detecting...but neither of them have the 3 cent nickel. They say that pretty rare because its small and such a junk signal.

Thanks again for all of the replies.

Chuck

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
DH, All I can say is it looks like your a natural to this hobby. By the way, you are also on to a great location.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! You got into an old spot there - Big congrats to ya on all the old coins. Love the 1860 Presidential Token. Haven't found a III Cent Nickel yet!! Great finds all the way around

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, love all the oldies...WTG dh! :hello2: That presidential token is sweet. Congrats on some awesome finds! I'd rather find one good oldie than a pile of newer stuff.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions