1861 Counterfeit Dime

livetoplay804

Apr 25, 2005
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hello,

I wish I could take credit for this find, but I cannot.? A gentlemen from my club here in Sprinfield MO found it last month.? He is an avid Civil War Relic Hunter. His name is Phil.? He has founds more things over his years than most museums have.? But this one is a first for him.? He needed help finding out more info about it.?

He found it about 4 or 5 inches down on the side of what appeared to be a hut indention or some sort of dug out area.? An obvious man made indention.? It is marked 1861.? It does have the words one dime on the back. The hole, not sure.? Prove it counterfeit, wear around someones neck, I dont know.? This is what we need help with. It is not silver, it is a metal alloy of some sort.? Iron maybe, didnt scratch too much on it.? The silver paint? is flaking off.?

Someone said at our meeting the other night that counterfeit is worth more than the real ones in some cases.

Any ideas? Anyone ever find one like it before?

Chris in SW Missouri

Attachments

• coinback1.jpg
    coinback1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 2,704
  • coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,701
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Iron Spiders said:
Iron Patch said:
Very cool and I wonder how long it lasted before the plating started to wear and show the truth below.

A lot longer than this quarter :laughing7:

Oh yeah, the one you're trying to get rich off of.

Not rich, only curious as to what it's worth since I don't have any other counterfeit coins :-\ If anyone wanted to buy it, its theres though :laughing9:

Iron Spiders said:
Iron Patch said:
Iron Spiders said:
Iron Patch said:
Very cool and I wonder how long it lasted before the plating started to wear and show the truth below.

Not rich, only curious as to what it's worth since I don't have any other counterfeit coins :-\ If anyone wanted to buy it, its theres though :laughing9:

I already told you... keep it! :thumbsup: (I have sold many counterfeit coins)

Iron Patch said:
Iron Spiders said:
Iron Patch said:
Iron Spiders said:
Iron Patch said:

I already told you... keep it! :thumbsup: (I have sold many counterfeit coins)

I'm gonna keep it, had a couple offers but not a good one yet. I know its not a terribly valuable coin but I want to make a buck or two for goin to the trouble of driving to the post office. I suffer from chronic laziness :tongue3:

The hole is a deliberate cancellation to ensure it was never used again. Its been a form of cancellation for coins & tokens for many hundreds of years, often with a square nail, later with any object, nearly always in the centre.

iron, kinda tough to tell from the pic if your 1858 is the "known" 1858 quarter fake if so its fairly common, made of some type of base metal, yours would likely be worth more to you for sentimental reasons than to anyone else. ive seen very nice ones sell for around 50$ one that would grade Fine(ish) sold recently for 6$

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back