What's new

1861 Fatty, relics, and a turtle surprise!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
10,209
Golden Thread
3
Location
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Findings are slim nowadays, as I am nearly out of spots and must work up the nerve to seek new permissions. However, I did manage to find an 1861 Indian Head penny and a few relics today at a former homesite in the woods. The ox shoe was a surface find, presumably left behind intentionally by a prior detectorist. The turtle was an unexpected surprise. I believe it is a male Eastern Box Turtle, though I did not inspect his junk to be sure 😁. (Just kidding, as I think the eyes are generally used as the gender clue.) They may be somewhat rare around this part of New England. Good luck and happy hunting!

IMG_9208.webp
IMG_9209.webp
IMG_9207.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 37
I like the clog clasp with the memorial that some attribute to Washington's death in 1799. I found the same one on my land.
Thanks again for the info. I did some more searching and see that many attribute cuff links, clasps, and buttons with this motif to the mourning of Washington, while others say it is a common design with no evidence to link it to the President. Given there are no initials or identifiers on mine to link it to that great man, I will assume mine is just a common shoe-related item. I am still happy to have gotten the ID from you, as it makes the find more interesting for me. Thanks!
 
Findings are slim nowadays, as I am nearly out of spots and must work up the nerve to seek new permissions. However, I did manage to find an 1861 Indian Head penny and a few relics today at a former homesite in the woods. The ox shoe was a surface find, presumably left behind intentionally by a prior detectorist. The turtle was an unexpected surprise. I believe it is a male Eastern Box Turtle, though I did not inspect his junk to be sure 😁. (Just kidding, as I think the eyes are generally used as the gender clue.) They may be somewhat rare around this part of New England. Good luck and happy hunting!

View attachment 2214397View attachment 2214398View attachment 2214399
 
That turtle looks a little...cranky. Congrats on the old IHP. Looks like its in pretty great shape. I feel your pain about spots drying up. I find myself digging signals that I normally would skip past. Sometimes it pays off, but mostly not. My track record for finding productive new spots during the first half of this year has been pretty poor,,,about 1/20. Hopefully things improve in the coming months.
 
That 1861 is a tough date to find. I've only found one in 50 years. I've found the entire IHP folder except four, 1877,1878,1908-s and 1909-s.
 
That turtle looks a little...cranky. Congrats on the old IHP. Looks like its in pretty great shape. I feel your pain about spots drying up. I find myself digging signals that I normally would skip past. Sometimes it pays off, but mostly not. My track record for finding productive new spots during the first half of this year has been pretty poor,,,about 1/20. Hopefully things improve in the coming months.
Thanks! The turtle does look a little cranky… perhaps I interrupted his nap😁. Best wishes on finding places to go. At least you have had some really nice finds and posts this year. I am out of new public spots and my permissions have all run their course. Unless our forefathers come back from the grave and lose some more stuff, I may have to start fishing again, as at least fish reproduce 😁.
 
That 1861 is a tough date to find. I've only found one in 50 years. I've found the entire IHP folder except four, 1877,1878,1908-s and 1909-s.
Thanks! My record keeping stinks, so I have no idea offhand how complete my Indian Head penny collection is; however, I know it is not as extensive as yours. Given that the US minted that coin for 50 years and at a few mints, it is impressive you are only missing four coins. Good luck … they are still out there waiting for you.
 
That Indian is in excellent condition, but I think that turtle takes the daily prize for finds !
 
That Indian is in excellent condition, but I think that turtle takes the daily prize for finds !
Thanks! I agree. Were it not for the turtle, I don’t think I would have bothered with the post. I thought it had such great colors, and I don’t recall ever seeing one in all my time in this state (60 years).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom