What's new

1863 Old Coin?

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
1,160
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
MA
This coin was found in an old Northern Ierland store.

Obv:>You can faintly see the letters "V" and "I" on the bottom left side of the bust.
>You can also see the letter "D" on the bottom right side of the bust.

Rev:>The design looks very similar to the Obv. of the Seated Liberties.
>writen under the Rev. design, the date is 1863.
 

Attachments

  • Irish1863.webp
    Irish1863.webp
    50.7 KB · Views: 722
  • Irish1863rev.webp
    Irish1863rev.webp
    42 KB · Views: 535
  • Irish1863.webp
    Irish1863.webp
    50.7 KB · Views: 523
  • Irish1863rev.webp
    Irish1863rev.webp
    42 KB · Views: 503
1863 british big penny (similar to the canadian sized ones too of that era )--queen victoria --young head type --the VI is for VICTORIA --the D is for De Grata --(by the grace of god in latin )
on the rear is seated brittannia with sheild --DATE IS UNDERNEATH
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
1863 british / canadain big penny --queen victoria --young head type
If thats so, you have any idea why it would be in Northern Ireland?
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
1863 british / canadain big penny --queen victoria --young head type
on the rear is seated brittannia with sheild
Also, I looked it up and I found one in better condition, looks the same :hello2: :notworthy:
Thanks
 
Upvote 0
A hint --the brits controlled ireland for many many years -- british control --british money

canada did not become a stand alone till 1870 * --so they too used british money as well before they minted their own coinage . :wink:
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
A hint --the brits controlled ireland for many many years -- british control --british money

canada did not become a stand alone till 1870 * --so they too used british money as well before they minted their own coinage . :wink:
Ohhh :o, didnt know that :tongue3: :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
1866 British Penny
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
1866 British Penny
Nope, I can clearly see the "3"
There's a scratch over it and it obscured the picture.
 

Attachments

  • 1863date.webp
    1863date.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 486
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
A hint --the brits controlled ireland for many many years -- british control --british money

canada did not become a stand alone till 1870 * --so they too used british money as well before they minted their own coinage . :wink:


Yes but there was no need for an 1866 British penny and it should definitely not be labeled as Canadian, because it's not.
 

Attachments

  • can-k1-1858-1.webp
    can-k1-1858-1.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 524
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
ivan salis said:
A hint --the brits controlled ireland for many many years -- british control --british money

canada did not become a stand alone till 1870 * --so they too used british money as well before they minted their own coinage . :wink:


Yes but there was no need for an 1866 British penny and it should definitely not be labeled as Canadian, because it's not.
The "A" at the end of that coin is a "D" on my coin.
 
Upvote 0
jdsarasin8194 said:
CRUSADER said:
1866 British Penny
Nope, I can clearly see the "3"
There's a scratch over it and it obscured the picture.

OK, it was the scratch making it out to be a 6 :D Still British
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
CRUSADER said:
1866 British Penny
Nope, I can clearly see the "3"
There's a scratch over it and it obscured the picture.

OK, it was the scratch making it out to be a 6 :D Still British


Sure it's not a Dublin slap copper? ;D
 
Upvote 0
Cru, this might be a dumb question considering you being British with a long interest in coins, but have you ever paid much attention to the varieties of the Victoria pennies? I had a very large group of them a few years back and started looking through the types, and quite honestly couldn't make heads or tales (no pun intended) of my Spink. I usually can catch on fairly quick to things along this line, but after a few minutes that was enough. There's certainly more to it than just the date!
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Cru, this might be a dumb question considering you being British with a long interest in coins, but have you ever paid much attention to the varieties of the Victoria pennies? I had a very large group of them a few years back and started looking through the types, and quite honestly couldn't make heads or tales (no pun intended) of my Spink. I usually can catch on fairly quick to things along this line, but after a few minutes that was enough. There's certainly more to it than just the date!

I have every Penny (date wise) other than 3 from 1797-1971 (stopped in 1967 but did a last mint in 71)

I have a few of the variants but I don't bother getting them all, as I'm a date collector. I understand most of them, including mint marks, high & low tide, beaded edge etc..
 
Upvote 0
yes its a british coin clearly -- british big penny type coinage was used also in canada and ireland was the point I was driving at being they were british controlled areas --the coins were of similar size , metal make up and value although the canadains were marked differantly design wize -- they would have british royals on them however * the fellow said it was found in northern ireland -- he did not understand that the brits controlled ireland for a long long time . --so that how a british coin came to be in northern ireland -- the "orange irish" or scots xfered to ireland as well as other british overseer types that ran things used british money
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
yes its a british coin clearly -- british big penny type coinage was used also in canada and ireland was the point I was driving at being they were british controlled areas --the coins were of similar size , metal make up and value although the canadains were marked differantly design wize -- they would have british royals on them however * the fellow said it was found in northern ireland -- he did not understand that the brits controlled ireland for a long long time . --so that how a british coin came to be in northern ireland -- the "orange irish" or scots xfered to ireland as well as other british overseer types that ran things used british money


Again, that's somewhat true but not for the coin in question. My reply was based on you calling it Canadian which is not the case, and I seriously doubt many British pennies circulated in Canada post 1858. But I do get your point. (The earlier stuff, but it's still British, not Canadian)
 
Upvote 0
canada did not become canada until 1870 * until then it was a "province" under british rule --the coin predates 1870 -- english coins of that era would be used in its "colonies"--like canada and ireland and even after being set up the canadain coinage was of similar size , value and metal make up as the british coins of the era although the designs differed the british royals remained on them.

I pointed this out as a way of explaining how easily a "british" coin could wind up being in northern ireland -- just like a british coin could be in canada --both being british controlled areas in 1863 --sorry if I was a bit unclear in my meaning .
 
Upvote 0
Check it out - http://www.coinsgb.com/Victoria/6-Penny.html
As far as how it ended up in Ireland? Is it really relevant? I'm always finding older foreign coins (France, Britain, US...), and from what I've seen of other peoples finds on the forum I'm not the only one. People traveled just as much back then as they do now.
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
canada did not become canada until 1870 * until then it was a "province" under british rule --the coin predates 1870 -- english coins of that era would be used in its "colonies"--like canada and ireland and even after being set up the canadain coinage was of similar size , value and metal make up as the british coins of the era although the designs differed the british royals remained on them.

I pointed this out as a way of explaining how easily a "british" coin could wind up being in northern ireland -- just like a british coin could be in canada --both being british controlled areas in 1863 --sorry if I was a bit unclear in my meaning .


Ok, for clarity sake I replied based on your first post which has now been revised and corrected.

It's true, any coin can turn up anywhere, but now as we both agree just because it does, doesn't make a Brit. Penny Canadian, American, or from any other country other than Britain. The topic was to ID the coin and there is only one right answer.

Also you should actually read the history of Canadian coins. Confederation had little to nothing to do with the changes during the mid. 19th century.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom