What's new

1863 Old Coin?

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
1,160
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
MA
This coin was found in an old Northern Ierland store.

Obv:>You can faintly see the letters "V" and "I" on the bottom left side of the bust.
>You can also see the letter "D" on the bottom right side of the bust.

Rev:>The design looks very similar to the Obv. of the Seated Liberties.
>writen under the Rev. design, the date is 1863.
 

Attachments

  • Irish1863.webp
    Irish1863.webp
    50.7 KB · Views: 722
  • Irish1863rev.webp
    Irish1863rev.webp
    42 KB · Views: 535
  • Irish1863.webp
    Irish1863.webp
    50.7 KB · Views: 523
  • Irish1863rev.webp
    Irish1863rev.webp
    42 KB · Views: 503
mile-ender said:
Check it out - http://www.coinsgb.com/Victoria/6-Penny.html
As far as how it ended up in Ireland? Is it really relevant? I'm always finding older foreign coins (France, Britain, US...), and from what I've seen of other peoples finds on the forum I'm not the only one. People traveled just as much back then as they do now.


My digging bud once found 8 coins from 8 different countries all on the same shoreline, the same day!

...and for the record I have never dug a Victoria One Penny in at least 2,000 large coppers!
 
Upvote 0
aaaaaaa said:
index.php


Looks like it says 1865 to me.


Nope, look close. The mistake you are making is counting the problem area to the left of the 5 as part of the 5, and not seeing the weak part of the three that extends to the top right corner. It's a very common mistake with George coppers for the 1773 and most common 1775 date.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
aaaaaaa said:
index.php


Looks like it says 1865 to me.


Nope, look close. The mistake you are making is counting the problem area to the left of the 5 as part of the 5, and not seeing the weak part of the three that extends to the top right corner. It's a very common mistake with George coppers for the 1773 and most common 1775 date.
I am positive it is a 3, you can see it clearly in person.
 
Upvote 0
I have dug those in California,mainly 1855-1865.Nice find!
 
Upvote 0
Nope, look close. The mistake you are making is counting the problem area to the left of the 5 as part of the 5, and not seeing the weak part of the three that extends to the top right corner. It's a very common mistake with George coppers for the 1773 and most common 1775 date.
I am positive it is a 3, you can see it clearly in person.

Ah yes I see it now.. Different style of 3.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom