1870's Hathorn Spring Mineral Water Bottle!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took advantage of the warm weather today and got out searching for history. The day did not disappoint as I found my first ever 19th century super-dark green mineral water bottle, and it is one with an interesting history to boot!
20220210_210155.jpg

The bottle is a Hathorn Spring mineral water bottle from Saratoga NY. (One of the orginal Saratoga Springs)
20220210_210119.jpg

Hathorn spring was discovered in 1869 by workmen employed in building the foundation of the Saratoga Congress Hall. It is named in honor of Henry H. Hathorn, who first developed the spring and rebuilt the Congress Hall Hotel.
20220210_213032.jpg

The spring was tubed in 1872, at the expense of $15,000, a big expense for the time. To this day the Hathorn spring is regarded as of the most valuable springs in Saratoga.
20220210_213452.jpg

This bottle likely came to be in the location I found it by way of the Hudson River which was the primary mode of transportation of goods to NYC in the mid-late 1800's. And there the bottle waited for 150 years to be found.

Overall the bottle is in amazingly good condition, very good to perfect in my best judgment. The embossing is bold and deep. The glass is smooth with hardly a hint of abrasion - as if it just came from the factory.
20220210_210312.jpg

I found it fully embedded in mud where it had likely been sitting since the 1870's totally undisturbed.

Last edited:
Upvote 27

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sure is a beautiful bottle. When you go to a function & everyone is sitting around the tables with their stupid looking plastic
water bottles you can whip that baby out & put them all to shame.
(corked & filled with water of course)
" Hey....whatcha drinkin' from that great looking bottle ? "
you: " Oh... it's water...but not just any water...it's EXTREMELY rare
Hathorn Spring water.... VERY hard to find "

CHEERS !! Congrats on a great find !

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took advantage of the warm weather today and got out searching for history. The day did not disappoint as I found my first ever 19th century super-dark green mineral water bottle, and it is one with an interesting history to boot!
View attachment 2009328
The bottle is a Hathorn Spring mineral water bottle from Saratoga NY. (One of the orginal Saratoga Springs)
View attachment 2009331
Hathorn spring was discovered in 1869 by workmen employed in building the foundation of the Saratoga Congress Hall. It is named in honor of Henry H. Hathorn, who first developed the spring and rebuilt the Congress Hall Hotel.
View attachment 2009344
The spring was tubed in 1872, at the expense of $15,000, a big expense for the time. To this day the Hathorn spring is regarded as of the most valuable springs in Saratoga.
View attachment 2009345
This bottle likely came to be in the location I found it by way of the Hudson River which was the primary mode of transportation of goods to NYC in the mid-late 1800's. And there the bottle waited for 150 years to be found.

Overall the bottle is in amazingly good condition, very good to perfect in my best judgment. The embossing is bold and deep. The glass is smooth with hardly a hint of abrasion - as if it just came from the factory.
View attachment 2009342
I found it fully embedded in mud where it had likely been sitting since the 1870's totally undisturbed.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Dgone2100

Feb 11, 2022
View attachment 2009328
View attachment 2009331
View attachment 2009344
View attachment 2009345

View attachment 2009342

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread