What's new

1870s Protestant Womans Home - 3 Silvers - Two Firsts - Best Dig so Far

PGHDigger

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2016
Messages
73
Reaction score
268
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1870s Protestant Woman's Home - 3 Silvers - Two Firsts - Best Dig so Far

I recently scored permission to hunt this place.

image.webp

This place is old and only a few blocks from my house. The grounds have changed a bit due to a massive addition, but much of the rear of the building is very old, finding spots to detect is tough though because of the addition of a huge asphalt parking lot. I stuck to the big trees in the grass on the outside of the parking lot, I started off with a few wheaties and some modern clad... Then came my first silver of the day, a 1958 Rosie...

The temperature fell quickly this morning, but I knew I needed to stay out as long as I could because this might be the last time I get to detect for a while now that a cold snap is imminent. So I throw everything in my car and start heading out of the lot. Imwas driving out of the lot and I decided to pull over by the front gate and swing around one of the massive oak trees before I left. When I got around the backside of the tree I noticed what looked like the top of a planting pot, stoneware-ish with some gloss remaining on the edges of the rim. I swept over it and got a huge signal, it was weird though because the signal rang almost a foot away from the pot with almost the same pitch and strength.

So I got down and to my surprise the pot had maybe two inches of dirt, and the rest was filled with sand... I dug down to the bottom, couldn't really see anything but when I stuck my pinpointer in it gave a signal. So I took my glove off and stuck my hand in and pulled out my first half dollar - a 1943 walking Liberty. I was freaking out, but also freezing and wanted to get home to show the wifey what I found. I stood up and swung my detector back over the pot before filling it in... And to my surprise it rang again... I got back down on my knees and reached back in the pot and felt a big ass round thing... Pulled it out of the hole and almost crapped myself... 1882-S Morgan silver dollar... A little chewed up, but otherwise in pretty good shape considering...

I'm now sitting at home absolutely freaking out at what I found... I have to say... I am absolutely hooked...

image.webp
 
Upvote 54
I am running the 8" coil, I bought the $215 dollar kit that also came with the 4" sniper and the crappy pinpointer. I have actually been looking at the 11" DD lately. But $150 bucks is a tough pill to swallow when what Im really dreaming of is a ATPro. I just feel like I'm missing things and need a little more power.

The street I live on is 1890s original homes, 24 of them, dead end street, and 12 are abandoned and in serious decay. I don't have permission to hunt them per-se... But I have been maintaining the lawns and did all the cleanup for the last five years without ever so much as a peep from the shell corporation that apparently owns them... So I consider that permission... I am really only in the initial cleanup phase of this... And have already scored silver and gold... Coins and all kinds of cool stuff...

Next spring I want to be ready... That's why I'm thinking of the atpro... Probably keep the f2 I'm using now... And sell the f2 I bought the wife but she never used...
If you are hunting in Wilkensburg, best watch your back. Things can get a little sketchy over there. LOL
 
If you are hunting in Wilkensburg, best watch your back. Things can get a little sketchy over there. LOL

Believe it or not, I see that as an advantage... Anyone from around Pittsburgh knows we'll-kill-yinz-burg is not exactly a safe place... I have lived here for almost ten years now and have made it a point to be involved in the neighborhood... I know everyone... Including the bad ones... And all considering I feel pretty safe detecting around here...

I also carry... So... There's that...

My landlady also owns over 100 historical buildings and houses here in the community... I do side work for her all the time and secured permission from her to detect any of her properties - all around 100 years old... It's just a matter of getting through till spring...

Wilkinsburg being dangerous keeps these spots from being detected... You would have to be crazy to swing in some of the places I go... But I love it...
 
Believe it or not, I see that as an advantage... Anyone from around Pittsburgh knows we'll-kill-yinz-burg is not exactly a safe place... I have lived here for almost ten years now and have made it a point to be involved in the neighborhood... I know everyone... Including the bad ones... And all considering I feel pretty safe detecting around here...

I also carry... So... There's that...

My landlady also owns over 100 historical buildings and houses here in the community... I do side work for her all the time and secured permission from her to detect any of her properties - all around 100 years old... It's just a matter of getting through till spring...

Wilkinsburg being dangerous keeps these spots from being detected... You would have to be crazy to swing in some of the places I go... But I love it...

Sounds like you're in a good place after all....especially with that landlady connection. I'm glad you're carrying though.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom