🥇 BANNER 1875 S 20¢ coin right in my backyard.

ross190

Nov 14, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just went out in my yard for an hour or so and pulled an 1875 S seated liberty 20¢ coin. The pics don't do it justice the details are amazing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

**better pictures on page 2**

Last edited:
Upvote 38

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy GoldBill posted a beautiful 1875 CC minted 20cent piece on this site about two years ago ! No Banner for him ! This site never ceases to confound me in what makes Banner ! MaineRelic

Maybe More Members Now ? Made For more banner Votes?.....:dontknow:
As your buddy,s CC 1875 is Much Rarer .
Just Curious What cond, was/is his 20c Piece?
Heck i,d love to dig either coin ,( even Holed).
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured it out when it appeared at the top.

I have just begun detecting and my yard has been great. House built in 1828. Finds in my yard to date:

3 large cents, including an 1801 error (unfortunately it has a hole in it)

3 Indian heads

A standing liberty quarter

The 1875 20 cent piece

Many wheats and clad

A silver spoon engraved with the house builders wife maiden name. I had it dated to 1790's. The handle is intact, but much of the bowl is missing. Still nice to have something from the original owners family.

But my favorite is a horse check tag from a famous ballroom down the street. It opened in the 1890's and they must have checked in horses like we do coats.

Wow.
It must be pretty cool living in such an old home.
Are any of the Previous Occupants ,Still hanging Around? LOL
Congratz on the Beautiful Coin.
Davers

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

I have just begun detecting and my yard has been great. House built in 1828. Finds in my yard to date:

3 Indian heads

The 1875 20 cent piece

Many wheats and clad

A silver spoon engraved with the house builders wife maiden name. I had it dated to 1790's. The handle is intact, but much of the bowl is missing. Still nice to have something from the original owners family.

But my favorite is a horse check tag from a famous ballroom down the street. It opened in the 1890's and they must have checked in horses like we do coats.

Where did you say you live, you know, address etc. ------------------- Just kidding, I'm jealous of your yard. Congratulations on your Banner find.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet 20 center! I saw one in an antique shop in Kentucky for sale for $9 and didn't buy it for some reason. What a tard.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went to the link for the 1875 CC Twenty Cent piece - Oh yeah ! That was one BANNER worthy coin alright !- (and I'm very
glad I voted for it ) , but perhaps there were some rules in place then that prevented it from going up . As U.S. "type" coins go
all of these twenty cent pieces - if they are in decent condition (good or better ) are "banner worthy " in my estimation .

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ross190, even though it has a hole, I would still want to get it graded, Nice yard, if you ever need help, PM me!

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful coin! Somebody lost it when it was new.

Congratulations on the find of a lifetime!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm no expert but based on the fact it is a first year issue, rare and limited production and the condition....WOW! The word "Liberty" on the obverse is clearly readable.
I'm betting that 20 cent piece is worth $2000+ Well done and well deserved banner!!

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That thing is sweet! Those are very rarely found and yours is in stunning condition!

OP
OP
R

ross190

Nov 14, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm no expert but based on the fact it is a first year issue, rare and limited production and the condition....WOW! The word "Liberty" on the obverse is clearly readable.
I'm betting that 20 cent piece is worth $2000+ Well done and well deserved banner!!

$2000+?? Holy crap. I gotta get that thing graded. Just found out you need 5 coins to get any graded. Better start digging!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Find. You don't see those come up often. Congrats on the banner!

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ross, Great find and quite scarce too.Congrats are in order and thanx for the pics too. I'd keep poking around the place until you get the rest of her sisters too.HH......

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

3 Indian heads

The 1875 20 cent piece

Many wheats and clad

Wow, I'm amazed you live in a home built in 1828.
From a historical real estate perspective that is just fascinating.

I have a 1879 corner store 4 plex in Galveston Texas that I've been waiting for historical funds for a complete rehab now for almost 5 years.
Only one apartment is occupied, and that particular tenant serves as as handyman also.

The building is built extremely well, but the construction is completely different then what you would see today in every possible way.
Did you rehab your home, or was it in good condition when you first acquired / leased it?

OP
OP
R

ross190

Nov 14, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I'm amazed you live in a home built in 1828.
From a historical real estate perspective that is just fascinating.

I have a 1879 corner store 4 plex in Galveston Texas that I've been waiting for historical funds for a complete rehab now for almost 5 years.
Only one apartment is occupied, and that particular tenant serves as as handyman also.

The building is built extremely well, but the construction is completely different then what you would see today in every possible way.
Did you rehab your home, or was it in good condition when you first acquired / leased it?

It was livable, but we have completely rehabbed it, leaving the old school charm with modern conveniences. In MA that age is not unusual at all. My whole street is historic homes.

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet coin! I actually own one of these myself, but I could never imagine pulling one out of the ground! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread