1875 S Seated Half..........opinions please

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a coin person, would like feedback on this. Grade? Should I get it graded? approx value? Surface find in a bean field, removed some light stain with warm water and baking soda paste 161185577584.jpg1611855837166.jpg

The obverse especially looks kind of funky. If you want to make sure it is genuine you could send it in, but if it is genuine it would come back environmental damage and or improperly cleaned.

Not rare/valuable enough to get graded IMO. As mentioned, it would come back as cleaned and probably with a corrosion notation. Looks to have been AU/EX when it was lost. Value would be downgraded because of the damage......probably in the F/VF range. Still a cool find! :icon_thumright:

Not a coin person, would like feedback on this. Grade? Should I get it graded? approx value? Surface find in a bean field, removed some light stain with warm water and baking soda pasteView attachment 1380825View attachment 1380826

NEVER EVER CLEAN COINS!

Wash with soap and water. Soak in oil. There are a lot of things you can do but one thing you should never do is RUB IT WITH ANYTHING...

Thanks for the responces, like I said, I am not a coin guy. Never thought something as neutral as baking soda would harm a silver coin Lesson learned:BangHead: Oh well I found it.........I like it..........it's nice, and I learned something....What a great day:hello2:

The obverse especially looks kind of funky. If you want to make sure it is genuine you could send it in, but if it is genuine it would come back environmental damage and or improperly cleaned.

It is clearly genuine.

While the coin is likely genuine and has near AU details, it would not be a good candidate for grading/certification due the costs and because of the negative notations on the label, if it is in fact certified and graded. Due to it's porous surfaces which are likely from contaminants (fertilizers and probably pesticides and herbicides), the coin has the appearance of being made in a mold. This takes away from eye appeal and may make it hard to sell. Sorry for bad news but it is a nice find and one that anyone would be proud of finding!

Frank

Baking soda isn't neutral. It has a scouring effect on the surface of the coin.

Thanks for the responces, like I said, I am not a coin guy. Never thought something as neutral as baking soda would harm a silver coin Lesson learned:BangHead: Oh well I found it.........I like it..........it's nice, and I learned something....What a great day:hello2:

Common misconception... Baking soda, when made into a paste, is an abrasive. It scrubs off the top surface of the coin, exposing the layer underneath, and scratching that layer all to He77.

My opinion based on photos...XF Environmental Damage; $90 - 110.

aj

Just now read this thread. All the advise given by the guys before me is correct. And right here on TreasureNet. I will unburden myself, and I still get a little nauseated just telling about it. Some years ago I found a (KEY DATE) coin, I thought wow, what a great find, put it in a coin pouch with zinc penny's etc., That was my First mistake. At home I washed it off and rubbed it with a dish rag, That was my second mistake. I was rubbing it in my fingers while looking it up in a coin book thinking it might be worth a few dollars, My Third mistake, I did almost everything wrong I could of done. This (KEY DATE) coin, ONLY 56,000 were ever minted, and all had been put into circulation. It was the Holy Grail of this particular type of coin. I am sure it would of graded Fine to Very Fine. It had Great detail, All the letters on "Liberty" were clear etc. Sent it in to be Graded and Slabbed., and YUP, it came back "Genuine" Not gradable, cleaned. Did I screw up or what, YES I did. The worst part is I should of known better. A hard and bitter lesson to learn. So, New Guys, learn from our mistakes, ESPECIALLY mine. Pay attention to what you have found, if and when you find it, and if not sure, keep it separate, and don't do anything to it until AFTER you look it up. I learned the hard way, seeing this perhaps you won't have to. That's what is good about this Forum. As far as what I did?------Bless me Father, for I have sinned----

Last edited:
Not rare/valuable enough to get graded IMO. As mentioned, it would come back as cleaned and probably with a corrosion notation. Looks to have been AU/EX when it was lost. Value would be downgraded because of the damage......probably in the F/VF range. Still a cool find! :icon_thumright:

I agree!

Frank

Very nice find ! lessons learned- but I'm sure we would all be happy to find that coin . I actually scratched a 1923-S Peace dollar , and a 1939-S Walking Liberty half - don't be too hard on yourself !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back