1875-S Seated Liberty Dime

D

doyboy

Hey, guys, I decided to go on a short hunt today. Blitz and Zoyboy were going on a scouting mission, or so they told me they were going to. The 2 boys missed out on this one! Well, I decided to go to the large park in town. I found 3 Indian Head cents here earlier in the year, so I knew there was more to be found. My 1st find was a button that read at "Nickel". It was 3 inches deep. It has a small loop(shank) on the back of it. It looks to be late 1800s-early 1900s.

After the button, I found a few newer coins which I tossed into the bushes. About 2 hours into my hunt, I decided to hit another area of the park. This area showed a lot of promise. I was swinging my detector along a row of trees when I got a nice reading. The signal read at "Dime", but a small piece of trash near it made the signal not totally "smooth" sounding. It pinpointed at 4", so this one showed promise! I got down on my knee, dug a small hole, and placed the dirt on a towel. After that, I put my Vibra Probe over the dug-out dirt - that was when I saw the silver edge of a coin. I picked it up and wiped a little dirt off of it, and that was when I saw what I had found. It was an 1875-S Seated Liberty dime! I now have 3 Seated Liberty dimes this year (1854, 1875, 1875-S) ;)!

So, Blitz and Zoyboy, am I an idiot for doing this park? Blitz and Zoyboy's words, "You are wasting your time." Ha ha ha, not bloody likely!

Big Bsco, you are catching me on the Indian Heads! I still have 41!

Attachments

• 1875-S.jpg
    1875-S.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 484
  • 1875-S reverse.jpg
    1875-S reverse.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0
There is nothing quite like seeing silver peeking out from the soil... especially when it's older silver like a Barber or a seated.

Just goes to show, it doesn't hurt to follow your instincts when picking a place to hunt.

Congrats on that nice seated dime! I've only got one so far this, an 1876 in XF to AU. But I might be able to catch you there as my buddy has quite a few mid 1800s house sites locked in for some hunting once the fields get plowed.

41-37... My finds for today made it interesting! :)

Great find . there are two varieties listed in th Red Book. Total mintage includes 9,070,000. listed as Variety 4. And Wlater Breen list $ Varieties for that date/ and mintmark i cant see the photos well enough to attribute for you

Congrats on the dime doyboy. I'm still waiting on pulling one of those outta the ground.

Funkman

Here is another pic of the reverse.

Attachments

• DSCF0417[1].JPG
    DSCF0417[1].JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 360
Congrats of the dime find. Back in the early 80's I figured the most likely old coin find in parks would be the dime. I bought the deepest machine of that day and hunted following a chalk line. Everybody said that park was hunted out and worthless. I took about 7 or 8 beautiful Barber Dimes and maybe 20 Mercs out of an area not much more than 20x30 feet.

My point is this, I think the number one great find anywhere in the U.S. today is still the dime. Today's deep machines can get a solid signal on them at that 5 to 9 inch level where most are today.

I'm mostly a relic hunter but if I wanted coins I'd take a super deep machine into the oldest/biggest and most "hunted out" city parks I could find and hunt slowly following a line. I'm sure there are many seated and bust dimes to be found.

Using this method would also yield some $1 gold pieces if the discrimination where set low enough.

Badger

Picture of obverse.

Attachments

• DSCF0412[1].JPG
    DSCF0412[1].JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 252
Nice dime doyboy.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back