🥇 BANNER 1877 Indian Head Cent - The Big Key Date!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1877 Indian Head Cent this past Saturday morning on my second visit to a new site.

P7280078.JPG

P7280091.JPG

A colonial-period house once stood at the site which offered easy short cut grass for hunting, but little was found on my first 4-5 hour search a few weeks ago. I recovered a tombac button, a musket ball, a Wheat penny, and a Buffalo nickel. Saturday’s search was offering equally dismal results consisting of a modern dime (several inches deep :BangHead:), a quarter, and a foreign coin recovered over a half-hour search, so I started working my way back to the car. I had other sites to search that morning. I was hoping for one more high-tone signal before leaving, and soon passed over just such a signal about 6” deep. I cut a plug and removed an Indian Head cent with far less corrosion in comparison to what I typically encounter. I gave the coin a light rub and was surprised with the date of 1877. I knew the key date for the Indian Head series was somewhere in the 1870’s neighborhood. “Hmmmmm, was it 1872, 1874, or 1877? Did I have the big key date? Nahhhhh! The key date is 1874. If it’s 1877, than I must be misreading the dirt-encrusted date. It’s probably 1879.”

Anyway, I found the coin about 8:00 a.m. and enjoyed considering the possibilities throughout the remainder of the day while running errands, attending to family obligations, and so forth. In the late afternoon, I finally got home and took a closer look at the coin. It was clearly dated 1877; all finished with Step One. Going to Step Two, I got out my old 2006 Red Book and scanned through the dates, “1877 – Good-4 Condition (near bottom of the grading scale = $575, Very Good-8 = $750, Fine-12 =$1000. I’m not one to overly focus on the value of finds, but there’s some pride in finding a coin that garners such prices, as it reflects the coin’s importance as the big key date of a popular coin series. I’m primarily interested in colonial-period finds – the big coppers; however, I’m also a coin collector, so finding a key date is a thrill. :hello2: I’ve dug hundreds of big coppers and Indian Head cents over the years, but I had no expectation of ever finding the 1877 key date Indian Head cent. Most of my recovered Indian Head cents are too corroded for positive dating, so I was very lucky to recover the key date coin with a tolerable amount of corrosion and a fair amount of detail. The coin is clearly a dug specimen with corrosion. It’s worth a fraction of the cost for a non-dug specimen, but I’ll take it and why not? How could I beat it? I don’t think I’ll being digging up any 1877 Indian Head cents in Mint State-Red condition, already slabbed as it comes out of the hole.

Good Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 58

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a fabulous and rare find! Very few 1877 Indian Head Cents are ever found metal detecting and especially one with such great details. The coin apparently saw very little circulation before it was lost and even though it is still dirty and crusty, it appears to have at the least EF-45 details. It is hard to say where the grade would actually fall if it were graded after conservation but I doubt it would be less than a F-12 and probably not less than an F-15. While the coin needs to be conserved to hopefully remove some or all of the dirt and crustation, it is doubtful that a Grading Service would ever give it a Net grade. With the rules that the Grading Services go by, I would imagine that the label on the holder would read something like this and not specifically in that order: 1877 IHC Genuine, EF-45 details, Corroded ...
In any case and any MD'ers book, it is a great find and definitely a Banner find and will get my vote!

Frank

Last edited:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
You're on a roll lately. Guess I better dust off my machines and get back out there. Congrats on the key date and you've got my Banner vote!

nscrcr8z

Jun 4, 2011
cullman al
Detector(s) used
v3i/ xl 6000 pro/AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome awesome find got my vote ***BANNER***

Last edited:

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to vote banner on that one, it is just too good of a coin.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THAT IS THE ONLY ONE I NEED !!!:BangHead:

Congrats on such a fantastic find:occasion14:

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Threshold beat me to it. I was going to give you the current Red Book value too, lol. incredible find!

Muawhaha!

My dad and I always joke how it would be nice to find another 1877 lying around lol.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's incredible chaser ! One we all hope to find ! With a bonus for you finding one in such good condition ! Big congrats ! MaineRelic

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I've looked through hundreds of rolls of Indians and never found a 77 in them. I've had to pay top dollar for all of them that I have owned, certainly never found one MDing. You've got my vote for banner!
Good luck & HH

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Finding that would make my YEAR! Congrats!! That is worth at least $700 -$900!

On Sunday I pulled out a wheat cent at a colonial location, that was most likely dropped by hunters, at first I thought it was a 1922 no "D", and I celebrated, then I look closer and see it's a 1923 :sadsmiley:. It was part of a two wheat cent coin spill, I could never get the date off of the other wheat cent.

A week ago I found an Indian, and the whole time I was hoping it to be a 1877, it turned out to be an 1864, it's still a great find anyways.

I hope to see to see this on top of the page, you got my vote!

Last edited:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Indian Head cent!! :notworthy: The "holy grail" of indians... I got lucky earlier this year and found a nice 1872... but its certainly not the 1877... :laughing7: Congrats to you. :thumbsup:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs . Thanks for the pics

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is in great shape. Like you I would be thrilled with that coin and the date. The few I have found are in bad shape or very green. I always liked that coin one of my favorites.
Congratulations.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Congrats!

I've found my share of toasted green Indian Heads. A dateable Indian Head with some fairly detailed features and a modest amount corrosion is the exception not the rule in my experience. So to find an 1877 Indian Head in exceptional condition is quite a surprise.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your great find! Nothing like finding the KEY date of a series- any series! Yours is in amazing shape. Maybe a 1909-S VDB is next! Good luck and continued success!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're on a roll lately. Guess I better dust off my machines and get back out there. Congrats on the key date and you've got my Banner vote!

Oxbowbarefoot - Good to hear from you. No need to dust of your machines yet, as you're likely resting up for harvest time in the fall to get out to those amazing fields that you were worked last year. I'm looking forward to your future posts.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find! Congratulations! Banner vote is going in. It's just too rare of a find to have it disappear in thousands of posts without some form of recognition

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. The BIG one of the small cents.
I do believe you have enough votes, and it will be "up there"

Congrats.
After 30 years or so of serious MDing, it amazes me what is still out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions