🥇 BANNER 1877 Indian Head Cent - The Big Key Date!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1877 Indian Head Cent this past Saturday morning on my second visit to a new site.

P7280078.JPG

P7280091.JPG

A colonial-period house once stood at the site which offered easy short cut grass for hunting, but little was found on my first 4-5 hour search a few weeks ago. I recovered a tombac button, a musket ball, a Wheat penny, and a Buffalo nickel. Saturday’s search was offering equally dismal results consisting of a modern dime (several inches deep :BangHead:), a quarter, and a foreign coin recovered over a half-hour search, so I started working my way back to the car. I had other sites to search that morning. I was hoping for one more high-tone signal before leaving, and soon passed over just such a signal about 6” deep. I cut a plug and removed an Indian Head cent with far less corrosion in comparison to what I typically encounter. I gave the coin a light rub and was surprised with the date of 1877. I knew the key date for the Indian Head series was somewhere in the 1870’s neighborhood. “Hmmmmm, was it 1872, 1874, or 1877? Did I have the big key date? Nahhhhh! The key date is 1874. If it’s 1877, than I must be misreading the dirt-encrusted date. It’s probably 1879.”

Anyway, I found the coin about 8:00 a.m. and enjoyed considering the possibilities throughout the remainder of the day while running errands, attending to family obligations, and so forth. In the late afternoon, I finally got home and took a closer look at the coin. It was clearly dated 1877; all finished with Step One. Going to Step Two, I got out my old 2006 Red Book and scanned through the dates, “1877 – Good-4 Condition (near bottom of the grading scale = $575, Very Good-8 = $750, Fine-12 =$1000. I’m not one to overly focus on the value of finds, but there’s some pride in finding a coin that garners such prices, as it reflects the coin’s importance as the big key date of a popular coin series. I’m primarily interested in colonial-period finds – the big coppers; however, I’m also a coin collector, so finding a key date is a thrill. :hello2: I’ve dug hundreds of big coppers and Indian Head cents over the years, but I had no expectation of ever finding the 1877 key date Indian Head cent. Most of my recovered Indian Head cents are too corroded for positive dating, so I was very lucky to recover the key date coin with a tolerable amount of corrosion and a fair amount of detail. The coin is clearly a dug specimen with corrosion. It’s worth a fraction of the cost for a non-dug specimen, but I’ll take it and why not? How could I beat it? I don’t think I’ll being digging up any 1877 Indian Head cents in Mint State-Red condition, already slabbed as it comes out of the hole.

Good Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 58

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an awesome, incredible find and a very valuable coin to boot. What a day huh??

Congratulations.

That motivates me to go back to the spot where I found my one and only IH find (so far).

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a touch sad that this coin hasn't made BANNER already - many of you are giving high praise and congratulations, but not voting
banner - I'm a little confused here , Can some of you explain this to me ?

Argentium - I’ve been thrilled each time I made the banner, which has happened twice before, and as recently as this past May. I’ve received lots of congratulations and compliments from many members, and a lot of their names are very familiar to me. I’ve also received a moderate number of banner votes, and hopefully the coin will make it to the banner. The 1877 Indian Head is the rarest of the whole series. It’s in better than expected condition for a dug copper; consequently, it carries some real value. Even 1877 Indian Head cents in good condition (near bottom of grade condition) typically go for $500 on eBay.

It appears that the last 1877 Indian Head to appear on T-Net took place back in 2012, and amazingly that member found two such coins in a short span of time – amazing! Prior to that post, the most recent 1877 was apparently back in 2009. Regardless of making the banner, I’m satisfied with any outcome and thankful to have a website where I can post finds and see what everyone else is posting. All the great finds posted on T-Net provides awareness of what is still out there buried and awaiting discovery by someone with a detector and some determination. All for now, I've got to get to work. Right after work, I'm going detecting for the evening - time to get me a Chain Cent! :icon_thumleft:

Good Hunting!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You certainly have the right attitude about it - sometimes I just wonder (out loud) about the things I don't understand .

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing find and in beautiful shape, congrats!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spectacular find! A heartfelt congratulations! I found my first and only IH last week and I wish it was as nice as yours.

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@beez0404
I still haven't even found an Indian Head.

I voted banner today fyi. Hope to see ya up there soon!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most excellent indeed. congrats!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find.

Congrats,

Buck

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it would get there.

There were some impatient replies, we do have to remember there are only two moderators here, and I'm sure they have lives.

A real nice day in the dirt, with a really good find, Congrats for all of it. (but I still like your avitar better.)

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON HITTING THE BANNER, That's a remarkable coin.
ZDD

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
congrats on the awesome find!! I"m always happy to find an IH but I'd die if I found that one.

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats. Now that you found the elusive 77 you might be able to put together a personally found series. I am 3 away, got my 77 a few years back, yours is a bit nicer. Once again congrats!

Zukovsky

Oct 26, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace-350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHOA! You don't see one of those everyday! NICE FIND!!!

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian Heads rule!:thumbsup:'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''congratulations on a really cool find. I noticed that the shield on the reverse has good detail.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,very,very nice! :notworthy:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME FIND ON THE 1877!
but
The line in your post that got me was " I've Dug 100 s of Big Coppers & Indian Cents Over The Years"

I have only dug 1 smooth LC & est, 10 Indian Cents in over 10 Years of Hunting.

As I say it's mostly the site , I guess.

Again Congratulations

Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread