🥇 BANNER 1877 Indian Head Cent - The Big Key Date!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1877 Indian Head Cent this past Saturday morning on my second visit to a new site.

P7280078.JPG

P7280091.JPG

A colonial-period house once stood at the site which offered easy short cut grass for hunting, but little was found on my first 4-5 hour search a few weeks ago. I recovered a tombac button, a musket ball, a Wheat penny, and a Buffalo nickel. Saturday’s search was offering equally dismal results consisting of a modern dime (several inches deep :BangHead:), a quarter, and a foreign coin recovered over a half-hour search, so I started working my way back to the car. I had other sites to search that morning. I was hoping for one more high-tone signal before leaving, and soon passed over just such a signal about 6” deep. I cut a plug and removed an Indian Head cent with far less corrosion in comparison to what I typically encounter. I gave the coin a light rub and was surprised with the date of 1877. I knew the key date for the Indian Head series was somewhere in the 1870’s neighborhood. “Hmmmmm, was it 1872, 1874, or 1877? Did I have the big key date? Nahhhhh! The key date is 1874. If it’s 1877, than I must be misreading the dirt-encrusted date. It’s probably 1879.”

Anyway, I found the coin about 8:00 a.m. and enjoyed considering the possibilities throughout the remainder of the day while running errands, attending to family obligations, and so forth. In the late afternoon, I finally got home and took a closer look at the coin. It was clearly dated 1877; all finished with Step One. Going to Step Two, I got out my old 2006 Red Book and scanned through the dates, “1877 – Good-4 Condition (near bottom of the grading scale = $575, Very Good-8 = $750, Fine-12 =$1000. I’m not one to overly focus on the value of finds, but there’s some pride in finding a coin that garners such prices, as it reflects the coin’s importance as the big key date of a popular coin series. I’m primarily interested in colonial-period finds – the big coppers; however, I’m also a coin collector, so finding a key date is a thrill. :hello2: I’ve dug hundreds of big coppers and Indian Head cents over the years, but I had no expectation of ever finding the 1877 key date Indian Head cent. Most of my recovered Indian Head cents are too corroded for positive dating, so I was very lucky to recover the key date coin with a tolerable amount of corrosion and a fair amount of detail. The coin is clearly a dug specimen with corrosion. It’s worth a fraction of the cost for a non-dug specimen, but I’ll take it and why not? How could I beat it? I don’t think I’ll being digging up any 1877 Indian Head cents in Mint State-Red condition, already slabbed as it comes out of the hole.

Good Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 58

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, that's definitely a key in the series!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner STC. I was hoping this one would make it there. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To All:

My sincere thanks to all T-Net members for their kind compliments and votes that put my find up on the banner. I joined the T-Net community in August of 2012, so it’s my two year anniversary of sorts. Making the banner for a third time right now after two years is very gratifying. I very much enjoy the sense of community which is shared on this forum. Obviously, I’ve only had face-to-face time with a few members (it’s a very big community spread far and wide), but I feel a close connection to so many of you who I’ve come to know by your past finds, particular interests, and PM’s.

For any members struggling to come up with better finds (believe me – I’ve been there), I would suggest research and more research. It’s all about the sites! If all else fails, get permission to scout a few farm fields. If nothing turns up, move on to some other fields. Sooner or later, you’ll hit on something good or even spectacular.

Good Hunting

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it would get there.

There were some impatient replies, we do have to remember there are only two moderators here, and I'm sure they have lives.

A real nice day in the dirt, with a really good find, Congrats for all of it. (but I still like your avitar better.)

Rick:

I'm with you - it's hard to beat Mass Silver. It's been eight years since I got that Oak Tree Shilling. I found a cut piece of another Oak Tree shilling last year, but I'm hoping for another uncut specimen one of these days. If I don't succeed in that goal of another coin, well, I've never had so much fun at failing to accomplish something.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations ! As regards impatient responses I'm guilty as charged .

Argentium:

No need to plead out. I think discussion and dialogue is a good thing. You were only questioning the status on a thread. I still can't believe the thread from a little while ago on the recovery of sword belt plate from the mid-1800's or so. It only received about 12 replies or so.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Click in and see this very cool dug coin made the top! Congratulations!

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on making the banner!

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. I've dug 800+ Indian head cents and never pulled out an 1877. Congrats.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't Get Me Wrong.

The 1877 is the ( holy Grail of IH's )
but

Just the sheer number of the dug by some people amazes me.

I know there is more history ( American ) in the North & esp, the NE US

I suppose folks living in the South Just Did not have as much money to loose , also My area Atlanta Georgia Has been Hard Hunted Hard for Many years ( folks looking for CW relics). Soo maybe Most were dug then:dontknow:

I believe it;s a population thing & folks in the South Being poorer .

If possible Can anyone (Smarter than me ) please post a population chart of the US say from the 1860 ' s- 1900. That would be great.

Still an Awesome Coin & in great Dug Condition.

Davers :thumbsup:

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find...big congrats on the key date....!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I've dug 800+ Indian head cents and never pulled out an 1877. Congrats.

But I see from your avatar that you pulled up a knockout GWI button, while accumulating your large tribe of Indian Head cents. 800 coins - that's a lot of digging! I've never found a GWI button, but hopefully I'll cross it off my wish list some day. Regarding your search for an 1877 IH, you know how it goes, you could dig two of the 1877 IH's on back-to-back hunts the next time you get out there. I recall that I guy on this forum did exactly that a few years ago. Anyway, you try to get that coin, and I'll try to get that GWI button. Good Luck!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go on finding a key date Indian Head Penny! :thumbsup: CONGRATULATIONS and finding it and for making the banner!!!

:)
Breezie

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to be such a slopoke in responding Jim but somehow I missed this. That's definitely the holy grail of IHs, and one that everyone seeks to recover. Out of the several hundred IHs I've found over the years only one of those '77s has showed up for me. And its not in nearly as good of shape as yours. Glad you can now mark that bad-boy off your most wanted list. HH ..... Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread